Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potter in MT 26 A translation mistake
enarxe Wrote:"1) Luke wrote in chronological order"

Yes, I have read your earlier statement about Shimun being a popular name, before writing what I think. Stating it twice or "reminding" does not make it a stronger argument.

With peace,
Jerzy

The same to you as as to the professor. I find the arguments that this is the same event, very weak, just based on 'Shimun' and a woman who annoints Yeshu, while there is a total lack of friends, not being mentioned La-azar, who was an important friend, being there as well. The fact that a lot of people were named Shimeun, and Yaqub as well, really is an important historical fact. And yes, this is the third mention. Read on as I'll explain why.
Just ignored by people, for instance, who claimed to have found the family tomb of Yeshu. It makes the argument not strong indeed.

If you just keep the scripture, there is a BIG difference between the two narratives.

Mark 14 mentions
* Context and city Beth-Anya
* no mention of any talk with Shimeun
* mention of marta and maryam being sisters of La-azar.
* Yeshu said: "she did it for my funeral"
* she annointed his head
* It was nardus, worth a 300 denarii (so the woman was rich).
* The woman (maryam) is not mentioned to be a sinner (prostitue) _and_ she does not cry.
* it was 2 days before petsha, at which Yeshu would be killed. (According to John 6 days)
* His disciples grunt at that, but get a lesson: what she did, will be told everywhere

Luke 7
* Context Galilea
* No mention of a near death of Yeshu
* Yeshu was invited by a separatist (not any mention of La-azar)
* A woman cries, dries Yeshu's feet and annoints the feet (not the head!). No mention of expensive nardus
* No mention of disciples grunting at the 'waste' of expensive oil.
* Shimeun judges her and thinks that Yeshu didn't know the woman was a prostitute
* Shimeun gets a lesson about forgiveness
* Yeshu sais: "go, your sins are forgiven"

The ONLY 'striking' similarity is the name shimeun! So, what exactly is the point? I really wonder, why these to accounts -must- be the same?
Because, so many names were similar, people got nicknames, as some of the 12 apostles got nicknames as well, and I consider 'simon the leper' as a nickname as well (or the 'potter').
Even if Shimeun was a potter, adding 'the potter' to the name, would be an important fact to identify which shimeun we're addressing. Obviusly, this Shimeun was a separatist, not a potter.
(Compare Acts 9:43)

Also consider the facts about Maryam. She was forgiven and healed LONG before this event. Since Yeshu visited them before already and had a meal with them. Maryam was already closely known with Yeshu, while Luke 7 mentions that the woman (unnamed) cried because of her sins.
Now when we read John 11:2 we get the real link between the two stories.
Obviously, the woman in Luke 7 is Maryam. Maryam had annointed Yeshu twice. Once in the narrative in Luke 7, at the beginning of Yeshu's earthly service, the second time, she did it just before the funeral of Yeshu (6 or 2 days before petsha).

I wonder, if the professor and you really realize, that telling people that these events are actually the same, does harm the story! It simply tells that the Gospel writers were *very inaccurate* and thus, probably we need -other- euhhh, say, 'more reliable' sources which are correct, right? This probably is food for 'Bart Ehrman-style' arguments. And you know who read/absorbe his books.
It makes Luke also a liar, he writes that he carefully wrote down the events. So, either Luke is a liar, or Mark+Matthew+John are liars.

I leave it at that.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Potter in MT 26 A translation mistake - by distazo - 11-09-2013, 06:50 AM