Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potter in MT 26 A translation mistake
judge Wrote:
distazo Wrote:]ke the Syriac for 'death', however, again, not in the CAL).

After all, they do more harm than good by making such claims, I think. Somebody who is really honest in translation is e.g. Etheridge. He is not biased by religion (it seems to me).

I'm not sure what damage is being done.
We have a peshitta tradition handed to us bu the COE. On many many occasions we have evidence that this text underlies the greek translations.
This peshitta text gives us some letters and words, here, which appear to say "leper" to our modern 20th century understanding.
However they have an old tradition that these letters mean potter, for reason which to us are unclear.
For me this does not do damage to anything.
After 2000 years we would expect that on occasion there will be things slightly mysterious to our ears.

I think you misunderstood me. I was not talking about the delivered text which would 'damage' but to implausable Peshitta translation claims.

After all, if people get really enthousiastic about the Peshitta text, they would find out that a real syrian speaking person would refute those claims. The Peshitta Primacy opponenents should not feed such claims as it would weaken their credibility.
I am not a Syrian speaking guy, but i found my self ashamed for not veryfying lots of those translation decisions as they had no base or shaky grounds.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Potter in MT 26 A translation mistake - by distazo - 11-08-2011, 10:52 PM