Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potter in MT 26 A translation mistake
distazo Wrote:Indeed. Peshitta always has it as potter. I have a Syrian friend who also went into the topic.

The disappointing is caused by too enthousiastic people who go so far to present the Peshitta text as original text and they polish away certain 'strange phrases' which sound strange to our ears.

Let's say, I've seen claims from some Hebrew Messianic people who also read the Talmud. e..g according to one Yeshu must have said: "Let the village bury their death." because of some Talmudic rule and since would have respected traditions he must have said that... (and the backup would be a word which is found in -modern- Aramaic which sounds like the Syriac for 'death', however, again, not in the CAL).

After all, they do more harm than good by making such claims, I think. Somebody who is really honest in translation is e.g. Etheridge. He is not biased by religion (it seems to me).

I'm not sure what damage is being done.
We have a peshitta tradition handed to us by the COE. On many many occasions we have evidence that this text underlies the greek translations.
This peshitta text gives us some letters and words, here, which appear to say "leper" to our modern 20th century understanding.
However they have an old tradition that these letters mean potter, for reason which to us are unclear.
For me this does not do damage to anything.
After 2000 years we would expect that on occasion there will be things slightly mysterious to our ears.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Potter in MT 26 A translation mistake - by judge - 11-08-2011, 10:38 PM