Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback on translation updates in 4th Edition AENT
Shalom everyone,

So, I was discussing the time of Yeshua's death (14th or 15th of Aviv/Nisan) with someone, examining the language within the synoptics and in comparison to John's account, trying to reconcile some things. And then, out comes Andrew's 4th edition of the AENT with some translation changes on this very issue which would technically clear up some issues between the different accounts. These are issues that arise when you take the stance that the crucifixion was on a day other than Friday (although the clarifying changes add a challenge to some streams of theology, but that's a different issue altogether).

Now Andrew has footnotes explaining the changes from his perspective, but I'd like to post the verses in question to see what everyone here thinks. Then, because I think I have a fairly good grasp on it, I can summarize Roth's justification without just copying his work to see what you all think.

The verses in question are,

"And when the afternoon was setting on the (Annual) Shabbat," (Mark 15:42 AENT)

"And the day was ending and the (Annual) Shabbat was closing." (Luke 23:54 AENT)

"And the Yehudeans, because it was the setting of the day said, "These bodies should not remain on their stakes because the (Annual) Shabbat is closing" (Yochanan 19:31a AENT)

Thanks a lot everyone!
Looks like Andrew has decided that there were two Sabbaths that week and (interprets) those verses to propagate his belief...which I believe is the case as well.

Also, I believe that the 2 Sabbaths were back to back...and the "Lord's Supper" was on Wednesday evening...the Crucifixion proper taking place from 9am to 3pm Thursday afternoon....the 1st Sabbath (Annual) taking place on Thursday night to Friday night, the 2nd Sabbath (weekly) on Friday night to Saturday night....this explains the verse in Mathew 28:1 which says: "Now after the Sabbaths (plural)..."

Here is the Calendar showing the year I believe it took place in.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.yeshiva.org.il/calendar/eng/default.aspx">http://www.yeshiva.org.il/calendar/eng/default.aspx</a><!-- m -->

The issue with that though is that they prepared the Passover on "preparation day" which I interpret to mean the 14th (i.e. preparation for the High Sabbath on the 15th; see Mark 14:12 for an example; Matthew and Luke have supporting lines for this as well). This would mean then that Yeshua died on the 15th, a high sabbath, and a High Sabbath would not be a day of preparation.

Anyway, all other translations as well as the Greek translate Mark 15:42, Luke 23:54 and John 19:31 in such a way as to say that the preparation day is closing the Sabbath is dawning. Roth mkaes a case for the word erubata in these instances referring to the closing or setting of the day (afternoon, as opposed to evening), which then moves the timeline a day forward.

Any thoughts or clarification available?
The "Passover meal" or "the Lord's Supper" that they partook of on what looks to be Wednesday evening, the start of the 14th, seems to be an early observance...and it was indeed a "preperation day" before the Annual Sabbath came on the 15th at sundown, which would begin the next evening...when M'shikah was buried. The way it is worded in Exodus 12:6, is that the meal is to be eaten "between the evenings" on the 14th...so it may be that anytime between sundown 14th and the next sundown of the 15th would satify the commandment, if that is what meal they were eating and that is what is mean by the expression.
I always understood between the evenings to mean the last 3 hours of the day of the 14th. I think Andrew quotes Josephus on this in Wheel of Stars. Anyway, Baruch said in his latest interview (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://soulsaver.podomatic.com/entry/2011-08-24T23_34_36-07_00">http://soulsaver.podomatic.com/entry/20 ... 4_36-07_00</a><!-- m -->) that Andrew is going to be doing a teaching on this which will be aired on God's Learning Channel (GLC) which should be interesting. He also said that they did check with someone from the COE about this particular translation.

Anyway, with instances like Mark 14:12, those statements would have been uttered during the day when they were slaughtering the Pesach lambs, meaning it was already the 14th... not the 13th where Yeshua was going to have His seder that night. At least, this is what I'm reading into it...

Shlama Luc,

Where does it say that it was the evening of the 13th? But the evening of the 13th, would be the morning of the 14th...so they ate the meal on the 14th that Evening...and the next day, still the 14th, Messiah was crucified.

If it was Evening that they ate, it was the start of the 14th day...after the 13th day had already ended. They went to prepare the meal on the afternoon of the 13th.

After supper, they went to the Garden to pray...and there Messiah was arrested late that night which would have been the 14th.

As it is written "Between the evenings" sounds to me like "between the evenings". Between one evening and the next evening. Not between the Evening and the next afternoon, or afternoon and the Evening. Maybe some can interpret it that way...but its rather a stretch I say...the simple reading makes sense to me.

Perhaps God, knowing that Messiah would not be able to eat the Passover meal, as was the practice in that generation, with His disciples at the end of the 14th day...had spoke it this way, so He could eat it with them at the start of the 14th day, and abide by the commandment.

And where does it say that this meal they ate was a "Sedar" meal? It says in many places that this was the "Passover" meal.