Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does the AENT 4th edition compare to the others?
Jerry Wrote:Additionally, I don't know how "all the house of Israel" would be any more appropriate.

In English, it isn't any more, or less, appropriate. We are arguing over semantics here. Both translations mean the same thing. Which is why I don't understand why you brought it up? My contention with your translation of Acts 2:36 had nothing to do with this phrase. We've totally strayed off path here. I don't care if you translate this phrase "All Israel", "All the people", or "All of them." Who cares?

I want to know how you defend the original point of contention - if I were your professor and you were defending a thesis. What is your justification for including the extra "of" in d-MRYA ?

Let's go with your, and CAL's, division of the phrases:

"Shareerayeeth hakhel neda kuleh beyth Israel" -> "Truly, therefore, let it be known to all the house of Israel"

"d-MRYA w-MESHIKHA awdeh Alaha" -> "that the-LORD and the-Messiah made Him God" (my translation)
"d-MRYA w-MESHIKHA awdeh Alaha" -> "that-of-the-LORD, and the-Messiah, made Him God" (your translation, as I read it)

"l-hana Yeshua d-anton zqapton" -> "this Yeshua, whom you crucified."

How did you get all that out of a simple Daleth Proclitic ? Can you see how it appears to everyone else here that your translation of this verse was tainted by your theological bias?

+Shamasha

Messages In This Thread
Re: How does the AENT 4th edition compare to the others? - by Paul Younan - 08-24-2011, 01:28 AM