Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning Torah by heart
I am looking to join (or form together) a group for the purpose of learning Torah by heart. Although I am a little further on my Hebrew journey than my Aramaic one, I am still a beginner. So such a group should be led, preferably, by people fluent in Hebrew.

To keep things in check and focused, this should be the main and only agenda of the group. I live in Chicago area. We could decide together where and when to meet. Or even meet remotely if somehow it happens that we have access to the software/hardware to make that possible.

Peace,
Greg
I am also in the Chicago area... it's an interesting idea... not sure how good I'd be at memorizing it since I'm in no way fluent in Hebrew.
I have no knowledge of such a group.
Shlama,

i'm nowhere near Chicago so i wouldn't be of much help, but if you're seeking to learn it by heart, i would suggest looking into the cantillation marks and start chanting the Torah that way. song-form has long been a great method to memorize any text, and i am sure it has contributed to many memorizations of the Word over the years in the Hebrew tongue. just a suggestion. there are lots of helps online to begin learning.

a dear brother has recently begun his foray into the world of the chazzan, and here's him doing the first chapter of Shir HaShirim (the Song of Songs): <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/neuralangel">www.youtube.com/neuralangel</a><!-- w --> he's of Ashkenazi descent, but this is more Sephardic in execution.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
Shlama Jeremy,

I could see the truthfulness of your suggestion with kids too. If you want them to learn something, have them sing it and they will learn it easily and without much effort. Unfortunately I am not too gifted on the music front. So I would rather not sing it. Not for my sake, I still love to sing, but for the sake of those around. :-)

Aaron and I have already started with the memorization. We are doing it remotely only at this time, helping each other along the way (actually he is helping me :-) ). So if somebody wants to join, location doesn't matter at this stage. Some of you guys who are good with singing could bring your input as far as cantillation is concerned.

I am blessed memorizing the Bible, if somebody is in doubt, just give it a try. Soaking ourselves in the Words of Life is one of the best endeavors that we can take, I believe.

Blessings,
Greg

Burning one Wrote:Shlama,

i'm nowhere near Chicago so i wouldn't be of much help, but if you're seeking to learn it by heart, i would suggest looking into the cantillation marks and start chanting the Torah that way. song-form has long been a great method to memorize any text, and i am sure it has contributed to many memorizations of the Word over the years in the Hebrew tongue. just a suggestion. there are lots of helps online to begin learning.

a dear brother has recently begun his foray into the world of the chazzan, and here's him doing the first chapter of Shir HaShirim (the Song of Songs): <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/neuralangel">http://www.youtube.com/neuralangel</a><!-- m --> he's of Ashkenazi descent, but this is more Sephardic in execution.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
Shlama, Greg,

great news to hear you've already begun! and i am right there with you when it comes to singing. i'm deaf in one ear, so my singing truly fulfills the call to make a "joyful noise!" =)

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy

borota Wrote:Shlama Jeremy,

I could see the truthfulness of your suggestion with kids too. If you want them to learn something, have them sing it and they will learn it easily and without much effort. Unfortunately I am not too gifted on the music front. So I would rather not sing it. Not for my sake, I still love to sing, but for the sake of those around. :-)

Aaron and I have already started with the memorization. We are doing it remotely only at this time, helping each other along the way (actually he is helping me :-) ). So if somebody wants to join, location doesn't matter at this stage. Some of you guys who are good with singing could bring your input as far as cantillation is concerned.

I am blessed memorizing the Bible, if somebody is in doubt, just give it a try. Soaking ourselves in the Words of Life is one of the best endeavors that we can take, I believe.

Blessings,
Greg

Burning one Wrote:Shlama,

a dear brother has recently begun his foray into the world of the chazzan, and here's him doing the first chapter of Shir HaShirim (the Song of Songs): <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/neuralangel">http://www.youtube.com/neuralangel</a><!-- m --> he's of Ashkenazi descent, but this is more Sephardic in execution.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
Hello, i would be interested to join, i actually once started doing this (6 or 7 years ago), but i had a lot of stress (still do) and didn't stay with it. i forgot everything except Gen. 1:1-5. it was my plan to learn the tanakh from page one to the end, i planned for it to take 5-8 years (10 years with the NT). To think i could know the whole tanakh by heart now if i'd have stayed with it...
i don't really know any hebrew, it was my plan to learn it while learning the tanakh by heart. That kind of means i might be too slow for you. What text would you use?

i'm not yet really sure if i can go through with it, but maybe a few peopedoing it with me will give me enough reason. No guarantees though.

By the way, i live in europe, so i can only communicate online.
Good, we are still at chapter 1. I have learned so much Hebrew these days as I have never had before, not even when I had a teacher. I am also a beginner.

Just asking each other where we are, how are doing, if we are still in the "race" would keep us motivated, I believe. If you have a plan though, please let us know that plan. Maybe we'll all try and stick to it.

I am using JPS Bible, the current edition. There is also one online available for free: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/t/t0101.htm">http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/t/t0101.htm</a><!-- m -->

Aaron has a nice online program that spits out transliteration in various pronunciation traditions. I think you can ask him for the link.

We are trying to go with a more ancient pronunciation which is a lot closer to Eastern Aramaic than Modern Hebrew pronunciation. Although Modern Hebrew pronunciation would be easier for me, being a native speaker of a Romance language. But my efforts to unlearn Modern Hebrew pronunciation should pay off with learning Peshitta, when we start there too.

Come and let's do it.