Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Curtain and Flight on the Sabbath
Hello,

I am new to this forum and am finding some very interesting things here!

I have a few questions.

In Matthew, Mark and Luke there is an account of the curtain(s) of the Temple ripping in two when Yeshua dies. Is this a reference to the the veil of the Holy of Holies or is it a reference to a different curtain? I've wondered if this had anything to do with the Jewish record of the doors of the Temple opening 30 something years before the destruction in 70.

Also, when Yeshua says in Matthew 24:20 "Pray that your flight not be on the Sabbath" what does he mean? Is he saying this so that they do not violate the Sabbath or for another reason?
I've heard the explanation that the gates of Jerusalem closed on the Sabbath and there was no way to get out if there was an emergency. But this explanation has to do with Jerusalem in the 1st century and I thought Yeshua was talking about a period far in the future. There aren't any gates in Jerusalem today!

Thanks,
If the Aramaic "apai tar`a" was intended to mean "katapetasma," then here's what Strong's Lexicon has to say about it:
Quote:the name given to the two curtains in the temple at Jerusalem, one of them at the entrance to the temple separated the Holy Place from the outer court, the other veiled the Holy of Holies from the Holy Place

For an in-depth discussion of subject, I'll refer you to this article I found on the Google, though it doesn't touch at all on the Aramaic text: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.opensourcetheology.net/node/3117">http://www.opensourcetheology.net/node/3117</a><!-- m -->

As for the Shabbath dealy, it may be contended that he was referring to the destruction of the temple, though context obviously also requires a eschatological fulfillment. If so, there is only one answer: he was saying that Shabbath is the day upon which men would rest, and if therein fell the flight, the rest would be violently interrupted.