Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PASSOVER CONFUSION
I am new to understanding the tenets of passover. I desire to understand the keeping of Passover.

Firstly this year 2011 passover begins on Monday erev 18th of April. Does evening seder usher in the First High Sabbath of unleavened bread?
or
Does the following day the Tuesday 19th april become the preparation day for the holy convocation beginning Tuesday evening and carrying through Wednesday. I find it little confusing between the Shemoth Mitzwot and Vayiqra Mitzwot. Shemoth, Vayiqra and Bemidbar describes that the eating of unleavened bread is a 7 day feast. Vayiqra 23:5 reads ?ben arbayim? which in my understanding means between the evenings on the 14th. This seems to place seder at the end of the 14th going into the fifteenth day. This allows a 7 day feast as commanded. It also allows all leaven to be purged prior to seder thus bringing seder in harmoy with the 7 day mo?edim.

It gets really tricky when I look at the synoptics verses John.

Mark 14:12 & Luke 22:7 both indicate that it was Passover, the day when they kill the lamb and this was the day on which YHSHUA ate the last supper with his disciples.

Alternatively John 13:1-2 says it was before the Passover and supper being ended.

This is where my confusion rests. From reading various discussions online I do not appear to be the only one. There seems to be two distinct camps when it comes to understanding Passover timing.

Option 1:
Day 1 begins at evening (afternoon 14th Aviv/Nisan) ? Passover seder ? opens 1st High Sabbath of Unleavened bread
Day 1 cont.. ? (15th Aviv/Nisan) ? 1st High Sabbath
Day 2 ? (16h Aviv / Nisan)
Day 3 ? (17th Aviv / Nisan)
Day 4 ? (18th Aviv / Nisan)
Day 5 ? (19th Aviv / Nisan)
Day 6 ? (20th Aviv / Nisan) ? evening begins 2nd High Sabbath of Unleavened bread
Day 7 ? (21st Aviv / Nisan) ? 2nd High Sabbath of Unleavened bread continues

Option 2:
Day 1 (afternoon 14th Aviv/Nisan) ? Passover seder
Day 1 cont.. ? (15th Aviv/Nisan) - preparation for Unleavened Bread. Evening of the 15th, 1st High Sabbath of unleavened bread begins.
Day 2 ? (16h Aviv / Nisan) ? 1st High Sabbath of unleavened bread
Day 3 ? (17th Aviv / Nisan)
Day 4 ? (18th Aviv / Nisan)
Day 5 ? (19th Aviv / Nisan)
Day 6 ? (20th Aviv / Nisan)
Day 7 ? (21st Aviv / Nisan) ? evening begins 2nd High Sabbath of Unleavened bread
Day 8 ? ( 22nd Aviv / Nisan) - 2nd High Sabbath of Unleavened bread continues

Based on the evidences in the gospels its seems that an approximate fit can be made with either of these options.

For option 1 ? it seems necessary to view that YHSHUA celebrated Passover one evening earlier. This causes questions to arise over Mark 14:12 and Luke 22:7

For option 2 ? This option makes it possible for YHSHUA to be eating Passover seder with his disciples but raises questions from two angles, one with regard to John 13:1-2. The second point of confusion for me with this option is Unleavened bread is commanded on the 15th does it still qualify if it is ushered in at the end of the 15th.

Thank you kindly Blessings and Shalom
Brendon
You might as well add the alternative rendering of the week's event. Jesus said definitively that he would be in the grave three days and three nights. Thus, it could have been wednesday afternnoon death and Seder preparation day, Thursday Passover high Sabbath, Friday preparation day, and a Saturday afternoon resurection. On Sunday morning he was already resurrected.

Also, the Galilean passover tradition may not have been same as the Judean tradition.

Otto
Hello everyone, Ive been roaming this site for a while and trying to gain a better understanding of the Scriptures. I wasn't even aware there was an aramaic NT until 3 years ago and now I don't know how anyone can think otherwise that aramaic was the original language of the NT. What did it for me was all the contradictions I read in the greek based Bibles that only the aramaic is able to resolve. Anyways, It's been quite an awakening for me.

In regards to the timing of the Last Supper/Passover, was anyone aware there is a new book on it? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/colin-hump...50198.html Professor Colin Humphreys uses astronomy and says Yeshua/Jesus was using the pre-bablyonion exile calender. Does this resolve anything?

So thanks for these resources, I'm looking forward to learning more.
The Passover is marked by a full moon.

An old calendar might put you off by a month, but it would have nothing to do with knowing the correct first day of Passover.

The real issue is the different Hebrew traditions associated with the days surrounding the Passover moon. The Nazarene traditions may have been somewhat different from the Zionist traditions.

Otto