Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAWRA - Man / Rooster
Shlama,

i recently noticed this in Matthew 26:74 --

Then he began to curse and to swear, "I do not know that man!" And in that hour the rooster cried out.

the term that caught my eye was the one Keepha used for "man" -- [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0rbg[/font] GAWRA. if i am not mistaken, this term can ALSO be used to mean "rooster," as well. if so, then what we have is Keepha denying any knowledge of Messiah, yet the word he used for "man," also meaning "rooster," would make it sound like he was saying he had no knowledge of the rooster, and then immediately a rooster (TARNAGLA) actually crowed!

what think ye??

i've seen a somewhat similar punning with animals in the Hebrew of 1st Samuel 15:14, when Samuel arrives to find that King Saul has spared Agag and his flocks, and Samuel asks "OOMEH QOL-HATZON HAZEH B'AZ'NA...?" -- "And what is this voice of sheep in my ears?" where the term OOMEH / "and what" sounds very literally like the bleating of a sheep - MEH!!

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
Perhaps you have heard this, but many in the Messianic/Netzari community say that this "rooster" is not referring to the animal but rather the "temple crier." Even the most adamant in this line of argument cannot dispute the fact that the text literally reads as rooster, so you may have something even from that perspective. I'm no expert, but I believe the Aramaic word here, [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]fgnrt[/font], is derived from [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Jrt[/font] meaning beacon, pole (See Strong's Hebrew 8650) and [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]fg[/font] meaning to reveal (See Strong's Hebrew 1540,1541). Perhaps this can give some more weight to the aforementioned argument. An interesting side-note: it appears that the Latin word gallus seems to be related to [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]fg[/font].
Shlama akhi,

yes, i've studied that possibility of the usage of GAVER for a person, and i'm not entirely convinced, but it does at least seem plausible that it could have been a man and not a rooster. but if we take it literally, it does say "rooster," so if i had to pick i'd go that route. also, the same Talmud that mentions Gebini (i think that was his name) as the GAVER also mentions the stoning to death of a rooster in Jerusalem that had killed a child, so it is difficult to make a compelling argument that none were actually allowed and/or found within the city walls.

as for the etymology of TARNAGLA, i had also looked at that recently and found the two terms to be strikingly appropriate for the "purpose" of a rooster, if compounded.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy