Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exodus in Corinthians
Shlama,

i'm guessing this fits under wordplays:

in 1 Corinthians 10, Paul is using the imagery and accounts of the Exodus to glean spiritual applications for believers far removed from those events.

as i was going through the chapter in the Peshitta, i noticed that in verse 13 he mentions that no trial / test has come upon them that is not experienced by all sons of men, and then goes on to say that Alaha shall make a "passage" out of the situation.

the word "passage" is of note, or i say, should be, as it is MAPQANA, which happens to be the Aramaic title for the book of Exodus! so Paul, in the midst of discussing Exodus imagery, specifcally tells his readers that those of us who are believers in Messiah shall also experience an "exodus" from our trials. that makes complete sense to use the term in that respect.

that said, going over to the Greek side of things, wouldn't we *expect* an obvious wordplay there, using the Greek term for the book - EXODUS? alas, such is not the case, as it uses the term EKBASIN, which means the same, basically, but fails the wordplay test.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy