Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamra - Wine and Donkey - Luke 10:34
[font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Yhwl9 hl L=bt0w 0qtwpl hyty0w hrmx L9 hmsw 0x4mw 0rmx Nyhyl9 Lcnw htwxm Bc9w Brqt0w[/font]
wethqarav wa`asav mahwatheh wansal `alaihein hamra w'mesh'ha w'sameh `al h'mareh waityeh l'futqa wethb'tel leh `alawhi
Murdock Translation:
and went to him, and bound up his wounds, and poured wine and oil on them, and placed him upon his ass, and brought him to the inn, and took care of him.

The Aramaic words wine and donkey used in this verse share the root [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0rmx[/font] and are separated by only three words. Wine is hamra (hamro) and donkey is h'mara (h'moro).
Shlama Aaron. Thank you for posting this it's fantastic. I love these types of wordplays. They were purposeful and helped the people to memorize and also captures their attention.
Shlama,

thanks for bringing this up, Aaron. i recall noticing this one once, but i never could make the connection on how the wordplay was supposed to be understood. so was it, like Paul suggests here, more of a clever memory device than hinting at a true "play" between the terms?

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
For those further interested in the root from whence these are derived, see Strong's Hebrew 2543,2544,2560-2566.