Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peshitta-Peshitto variants
Hello Paul,
I have a question for you.

In Peshitto manuscript William Norton used, there is a line at the end like this.

"Finished is the second letter of Timothy, which was written from Rome." (after 2 Timothy 4:22)

William Norton Commentary - "These words are in all six editions of Walton, Gutbir, the Maronites, Schaaf, Lee, and Ooroomia. But that of the Maronites adds, And was sent by the hands of Rufus."

We can see line at the end like this at the end of Hebrews, Philemon, and Other Letters of Paulos Shlikha in William Norton.

But my questions is "Is this line a part of Peshitta?" I don't know if this line is original or not.
No, those were added in certain later copies by scribes. The ancient manuscripts do not contain the commentaries.
Thanks, Paul. So they all are western copies. I want to ask you one more question. What do you think about William Norton's Translation of Peshitto (Romans to 1 John)? I think its a very good translation.
It would be nice, for us non-Aramaic speaking folks, if the list above (of varying texts) showed the English wording so we could see what was the difference, so we would know, rather than leaving us wondering. Plus we could then be sure and put to use the correct knowledge of our Eloheem and or Savoir. It is a relativly short list, something simple like: Matthew 6:32 The PeshittA has ____ , and the western PeshittO has ____ .

etc..
etc..
etc..
The Khabouris Codex has the poscripts and subscripts in it, for each book.

Shlama,
Chuck
The very state of the textual history will testify to whether a document was originally penned in that language. The Aramaic is relatively stable (especially the eastern copies), whereas the Greek is wildly divergent. One acts the part of an original, the other a translation. It's rather easy to tell and recognize.

Now, if the Greek textual tradition was relatively stable while the Aramaic copies varied wildly, well then I would be a Greek Primacist. It would be obvious which is the original and which the translation.

The forensics speak volumes...textual CSI.

+Shamasha[/quote]

Its not only that which proves Aramaic Primacy though...its the internal evidences, such as mistranslations in Greek (the same Aramaic word being translated into two different Greek words as the translators thought they saw something else)
The Texas RAT Wrote:It would be nice, for us non-Aramaic speaking folks, if the list above (of varying texts) showed the English wording so we could see what was the difference, so we would know, rather than leaving us wondering. Plus we could then be sure and put to use the correct knowledge of our Eloheem and or Savoir. It is a relativly short list, something simple like: Matthew 6:32 The PeshittA has ____ , and the western PeshittO has ____ .

etc..
etc..
etc..
Mattith-YaHu 6:32
Eastern PeshittA has "the Gentiles/Nations of the World."
Western PeshittO omits "World".

Mattith-YaHu 21:4
Eastern PeshittA has "All this happened..."
Western PeshittO omits "All".

Markos 14:31
Eastern PeshittA has "also all the disciples said" at the end of the verse.
Western PeshittO omits "all".

Loukanus 22:17-18
Not within the Eastern PeshittA nor Western PeshittO.

Yo-Khawnawn 7:53-8:11 (pericope adultera)
Not in ANY Eastern PeshittA texts, but present in many of the Western PeshittO texts (yet not all of them).

Yo-Khawnawn 16:27
Eastern PeshittA has "from The Father."
Western PeshittO has "from Alaha."

Acts 8:37
Not in either the Eastern PeshittA or Western PeshittO.

Acts 28:29
The PeshittA doesn't have it.
The PeshittO has it.

Acts 15:34
Not in either the Eastern PeshittA or Western PeshittO.

Acts 20:28
Eastern PeshittA has "feed the Assembly of The Anointed One."
Western PeshittO has "feed the Assembly of Alaha."

2 Thessalonians 3:18
Eastern PeshittA ends with "with all of you my Brothers; Awmain."
Western PeshittO omits "my?Brothers."

Philemon 1:25
The Peshitta reads "be with your spirit, my brothers; Amen."
The Peshitto reads "be with your spirit; Amen."

Hebrews 2:9
Eastern PeshittA ends with "for He, apart from Alaha, tasted death in the place of everyone."
Western PeshittO has "for Alaha Himself, by His grace, tasted death in the place of every person."

Hebrews 2:16
Eastern PeshittA has "He did not take [the form] of Messengers,
but He took [the form] of the children of Abrawhawm."
Western PeshittO has "For death was not authorized over the Messengers,
but over the children of?Abrawhawm it was authorized."

Yahakobe[James] 3:10
The PeshittA has "curses and blessings" which is a unique reading only found in the Eastern Aramaic text.
The PeshittO has "blessings and curses" which aligns with the Greek and Latin reading.
Here are the similarities & differences between PeshittA and PeshittO.

Peshitta (Eastern region) & Peshitto (Western Region)

1) Peshitta doesn't contain Pericope de Adultera (John 7:53 - 8:11) which is the story of woman in adultery.

2) Both Peshitta and Peshitto do not contain "Raise the dead." in Matthew 10:8

3) Matthew 27:9 - "Jeremiah" not named in Peshitta and Peshitto.

4) Matthew 27: 35. "That it might be fulfilled which was spoken
by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon
my vesture did they cast lots." isn't in Peshitta and Peshitto

5) Luke 22: 17, 18. "And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and
said, Take this and divide it among yourselves : for I say unto you,
I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God
shall come." isn't Peshitta and Peshitto.

6) Acts 8:37 - "And Philip said, If thou dost trust with all the
heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that
Jesus the Anointed is the Son of God." isn't in Peshitta and Peshitto

7) Acts 15:34. "But it pleased Silas to remain there." isn't in Peshitta and Peshitto

8 - Acts 18:6. "Your blood is on your own heads." isn't in Peshitta and Peshitto.

9) Acts 28: 29 - "And when he had said these things, the Jews
departed, and had much reasoning among themselves." isn't in Peshitta and Peshitto.

10) 1 Tim. 3: 16. In Peshitta and Peshitto, The word "God" is not expressed, though
evidently understood in the words, " He was revealed in flesh." (William Norton's 1889 book Page lxx)

11) 1 John 5:7, 8. "In heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit ; and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness on earth." isn't found in both Peshitta and Peshitto.

12) Peshitta only has 22 books. Peshitta doesn't contain 2nd Peter, 2nd John, 3rd John, Jude, and Revelation.

Differences between Peshitta (Eastern region) and Peshitto (Western Region)

1) Pericope de Adultera (John 7:53 - 8:11) isn't in some Peshitto manuscripts. But Pericope de Adultera is in some Peshitto manuscripts. British Library, Add. 14470 is a 5th century Peshitt"o" manuscript that didn't originally have Pericope de adultera. Pericope de Adultera was added to the manuscript around 9th century.

Here is the link to the information - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Library,_Add._14470">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Li ... Add._14470</a><!-- m -->
This is a Peshitt"o" manuscript, because Peshitta never had Pericope de Adultera.

2) In Acts 20: 28, some Peshitto copies have, " The assembly of God,
which he purchased with his own blood." But some Peshitto copies have "The assembly of the Anointed,'' All Peshitta manuscripts have "The assembly of the Anointed." Anointed is Meshikha in Aramaic.

3) 1 Cor. 5: 8, Peshitta copies have, "with the leaven." But Peshitto copies have "with the unleavened [bread]," etc.

4) In Heb. 2:9, All Peshitta copies have, " For he, apart from
Godhead, tasted death," etc. But the Peshitto copies have, "For he,
God, in his merciful favour tasted death," etc. (William Norton's 1889 book Page lxxi)

Hebrews 2:9 (Check the underlined for the difference)

Eastern PeshittA ends with "for He, apart from Alaha, tasted death in the place of everyone."
Western PeshittO has "for Alaha Himself, by His grace, tasted death in the place of every person."

5) Like Peshitta, Peshitto didn't have 2nd Peter, 2nd John, 3rd John, Jude, Revelation. So they translated these books from Greek into Aramaic which became known as Harklean version. But these 5 books were never added to Peshitta. Peshitta always stayed with 22 books.

Other Differences in Some Peshitt"o" manuscripts

Matthew 6:32
Eastern PeshittA has "the Gentiles/Nations of the World."
Western PeshittO omits "World".

Matthew 21:4
Eastern PeshittA has "All this happened..."
Western PeshittO omits "All".

Mark 14:31
Eastern PeshittA has "also all the disciples said" at the end of the verse.
Western PeshittO omits "all".

John 16:27
Eastern PeshittA has "from The Father."
Western PeshittO has "from Alaha."

Romans 8:39
Eastern PeshittA has "to sever me."
Western PeshittO has "to sever us."

2 Thessalonians 3:6
Eastern PeshittA has "that he received."
Western PeshittO has "that they received."

2 Thessalonians 3:18
Western PeshittO ends with "with all of you my Brothers, Amen."