Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quotation Comparison
Aaron S Wrote:Yes, I personally leafed through all of these verses that have been previously identified as quotations and cross-referenced everything.
Wow, are you a student at a university or something? Why do you have so much interest in this? Are you fluent in Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic?
Aaron S Wrote:In other places, there is little to no correlation between the two texts and it may be better not to include in the project.
i really think you should at least make those available on a seperate list (and maybe name it paraphrased quotes or similar). i know that the NT writers sometimes used paraphrasing as a proper way of translation, but if the list is not complete, it cannot properly fulfill its purpose.
Aaron S Wrote:I'll include other Greek translations if they're requested here... there are many and I am not keen on which would be the best ones to include (i.e. the earliest varying manuscript families) and where to procure them online.
i think the best option without overcrowding the project would be to include NA27 (it's a critical apparatus), which is the base for most "modern" translations. It is available here: http://www.bibelwissenschaft.de/online-b...bibeltext/(currently offline, should be back online in a few hours).
i am unsure if the copyright forbids using the text. Besides the NA27, i do not know where to get Greek texts online that have a significance in modern textual criticism. Could you deal with other formats, like PDF? The GNT-V (Greek NT with Variants) module for E-Sword would be good, but i guess the formatting will make an inclusion quite difficult.

Aaron S Wrote:I shall update the Old Syriac names soon. (I have a caching system behind the web version, so it may take 24 hours for the changes to show up unless you force-refresh or clear your web cache.)
thanks, it already worked for me.
Aaron S Wrote:English interlinear would be nice, but it'd require a great amount of work and I don't have translational skill... if someone else would be willing, I could add some means of putting that into the project.
i don't think it is a matter of translational skill. One could use a linking system, like Strong's. For the Greek and Hebrew, it should not be a zero-start work, as there are a lot of such interlinears. Strong's dictionary is available free online (it's not an awesome dictionary, but it should be enough for this project). For some people (like me), the Strong's # identification itself would be more valuable than the translation. i do not, however, know how to link the Aramaic (Strong's only has the aramaic words incuded in the Aramaic portions in the OT, and i know no equivalent system for Aramaic).
This may not be a big deal to you, but this is the way very most people study original languages when they are not able to speak them themselves.

Aaron S Wrote:My point is, if you know something more exact about any of these things, do share and I can include them.

Also, I may have to add a more sophisticated method of documenting the source texts being drawn from, as there are variants there also, and it may be best to cross-reference quotes to their closest source matches.
i agree with you on this. It makes no sense looking for agreement if you eg choose an LXX version that disagrees more than another with the quotes. Best thig would be if you could indicate multiple variants at once. i have no idea how to do that though.
Jesus is the one true God of the Bible.

Messages In This Thread
Quotation Comparison - by Aaron S - 08-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Re: Quotation Comparison - by Aaron S - 09-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Re: Quotation Comparison - by Andrej - 09-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Re: Quotation Comparison - by Aaron S - 09-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Re: Quotation Comparison - by Andrej - 09-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Re: Quotation Comparison - by Aaron S - 09-26-2010, 12:57 AM
Re: Quotation Comparison - by Stephen Silver - 09-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Re: Quotation Comparison - by Aaron S - 09-30-2010, 02:52 AM
Re: Quotation Comparison - by Andrej - 09-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Re: Quotation Comparison - by Aaron S - 10-01-2010, 08:36 AM