Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commonwealth of Israel?
Shlama,

I have a question, I was reading Ephesians 2 yesterday in the AENT, and I saw a REMARKABLE difference between the Peshitta and the the reading in the Greek text.

The traditional reading is: Eph 2:12 that at that time you were without Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers of the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. (LITV)

However, the Aramaic reads regulation instead of commonwealth. Can this this difference be explained?

In the love of Messiah Yeshua.

Matthew
Shlama akhi,

it would seem that the Greek version of politeias, meaning "rule / administration," is a very close translation to the Aramaic term, which means "rule / course / custom / manner," in the sense of administration. in my personal translation of Ephesians from the Aramaic, i chose "customs" to render the term in English.

so i think the Greek actually upholds the Aramaic, it is merely the choice of "commonwealth" that is misleading in the English translation.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
hello, every time one reads about Israel, he associates it with the people who barbarically massacred Palestinians, took their homeland, and called it the forfeited Israel, which will be replaced by the true Israel, ' as per Revelation'. any one who sides with the currently called Israel, has no connection with the Israel, which will come down from heaven. therefore, not because a handful of invaders call a land Israel, it becomes Israel.
Not me...and this is not the place to get into that subject.
Matthew 10: 5 - 7 (RSV):
[5] These twelve Jesus sent out, charging them, "Go nowhere among the Gentiles, and enter no town of the Samaritans,
[6] but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
[7] And preach as you go, saying, `The kingdom of heaven is at hand.'

Matthew -

This section in Matthew has been puzzling for some and I think the answer is a sub-current of thought that saw a Re-Unification of Judah and Israel in a "Commonwealth", certainly under the "Regulation" of the Chosen. Kings and High Priests are Promised:

Revelation 5: 10 (RSV):

[10] and hast made them a kingdom and priests to our God,
and they shall reign on earth."

It's the "...they shall reign on earth" part that brings to mind the "Commonwealth". Perhaps also, Jeroboam of Nebat was on the minds of some, who chose sites and holy days of his own reckoning. In the Time to Come, the wounds of the past are to be corrected with a Unified Rule from the Land that was Promised.

Y/N/M?

CW