Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vessel
Can anyone help me out here... I'm trying to get more information about [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0n0m[/font], (which means vessel).
Is the [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]M[/font] a prefix that modifies a root? If so, what is that root's meaning?
Shlama akhi,

you can also find this term in Ezra and Daniel. although in Syriac it is the emphatic state, i found in Thayer's that it appears to be from the root ANAH, which means "to cause to come," which would make sense of the development into a noun as the thing in which something comes - since the term can be translated as vessel / clothes / ship, etc.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
And here's the reason I ask:
I was eying a particular name, [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0yn0[/font] (Aniya) [Acts 9:34] and thought that it could be Aramaic or Hebrew in origin.
Does that sound feasible in light of your definition of [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0n0[/font]???
Aaron S Wrote:And here's the reason I ask:
I was eying a particular name, [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0yn0[/font] (Aniya) [Acts 9:34] and thought that it could be Aramaic or Hebrew in origin.
Does that sound feasible in light of your definition of [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0n0[/font]???

Shlama,

ah, okay - this has been touched on before here, which you may find helpful:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.peshitta.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=96&p=11790&hilit=aeneas#p11790">viewtopic.php?f=8&t=96&p=11790&hilit=aeneas#p11790</a><!-- l -->

as for the concordances, they say his name is Greek from the hero of the Aeneid, in which case it would mean "praise / laud."

however, i looked at the blueletterbible.org site, and it said the name was of uncertain derivation, so who knows with that?

Paul Younan says it should stem from the term ENAS in Aramaic, which would be "distressed / afflicted." and if so, then we have a wordplay in the Peshitta between verses 33 and 34 concerning the way his name is used. i would think a wordplay from the Aramaic would make the most sense, but i'd like to hear the opinions of others as well.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
Here's something that I stumbled across:
Peshitta Tanakh of 2Chronicles 29:1 says:
[font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0yrkz trb Yn0 hm0d 0m$w[/font]
and-the-name
of-his-mother [was]
Ani
daughter-of Zakharya
Hmm.... different than the Hebrew, but even the Greek reads ABBA for her name, which is ironic in itself.

the targum for Chronicles also reads Abiyah, tho. so there are two witnesses for the Hebrew, while the Aramaic and Greek have their independant readings.

i've recently done a lot of cross-referencing between the names found in Chronicles as to the Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek textual witnesses, and the error in transliterating is quite often. alot of misreading of letters. some can be explained as errors from the Hebrew, and some from the Aramaic.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy