Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Love of Money
Hello,

I'm new to the board and I was interested in learning the aramaic to english translation for 1Peter 6:10.

I've read the Lasma translation;
For the love of money is the root of all evil; and there are some men who have coveted it and thereby erred from their faith and brought to them many sorrows.

Is this the accurate translation? I've read the Latin and the Greek versions and there appears to be discrepencies to the different versions. I'm most interested in understanding the definition for the root. Was love of money, or greed, or averice being used as an example for the root so that could easily be understood for the time or is it more definitive. My suspicion is that the scripture passage was suggesting that to covet one's carnal desire (greed, lust, power, etc...) would lead one stray away from their conviction to God and consequently bring about suffering.

Also, is there any inference to the last portion of the passage, and brought to them many sorrows, that may be suggestive to the earlier part of the passage regarding coveting the desire. The suggestion being that the sorrow or suffering be related to coveting the desire rather than be the consequence of erring in their faith.

Thanks, Jon

Messages In This Thread
For Love of Money - by Jon_in_Charlotte - 04-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Re: For Love of Money - by Jerry - 04-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Re: For Love of Money - by distazo - 04-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Re: For Love of Money - by Burning one - 04-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Re: For Love of Money - by Jerry - 04-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Re: For Love of Money - by Burning one - 04-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Re: For Love of Money - by Jerry - 04-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Re: For Love of Money - by Jon_in_Charlotte - 04-28-2010, 03:44 PM