Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The scribes' slip
Peace and Blessings,

Returning to Mark 14:25, we find the words "I shall drink it with you newly." Although Paul has translated it as "anew," this adverb is awkward in Syriac, as it is in English. Furthermore, it has no idiomatic necessity. It does, however, make perfect sense in the Greek, by use of the word ????????????. The word "newly" is also located in the Old Syriac (sin). As we do not expect the Peshitta to originate this strange reading, we must conclude that it depended upon either the Old Syriac or the same Greek mss in, at least, one instance. In either case, this reading ultimately depends on the Greek.
Kara Wrote:Peace and Blessings,

Returning to Mark 14:25, we find the words "I shall drink it with you newly." Although Paul has translated it as "anew," this adverb is awkward in Syriac, as it is in English. Furthermore, it has no idiomatic necessity. It does, however, make perfect sense in the Greek, by use of the word ????????????. The word "newly" is also located in the Old Syriac (sin). As we do not expect the Peshitta to originate this strange reading, we must conclude that it depended upon either the Old Syriac or the same Greek mss in, at least, one instance. In either case, this reading ultimately depends on the Greek.

Can you tell us your expertise with Aramaic that enables you to make these claims? Thank you, and peace.
Shlama,

can you be more specific, Kevin? i'm failing to see the proposed issue here. "ANEW" seems perfectly fine translationally. please clarify.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy
shlomo Kara,

Kara Wrote:...Mark 14:25, we find the words "I shall drink it with you newly." Although Paul has translated it as "anew," ...

What you've quoted above isn't Mark 14:25 from the Peshitta!

The Peshitta verse for Mark 14:25 reads properly in Aramaic without any awkwardness; and "anew" is the proper translation in this case.

bashlomo,
keefa
???????? ???? ????????
???????????????????? ???????????????? ???????????????????? ???????? ??????????????? ????????????. ?????????????? ?????????? ??????????????????????????
abudar2000 Wrote:shlomo Kara,

Kara Wrote:...Mark 14:25, we find the words "I shall drink it with you newly." Although Paul has translated it as "anew," ...

What you've quoted above isn't Mark 14:25 from the Peshitta!

The Peshitta verse for Mark 14:25 reads properly in Aramaic without any awkwardness; and "anew" is the proper translation in this case.

bashlomo,
keefa

Peace and Blessings,

Keefa, why wouldn't you translate the Syriac word "tuv" as "again" instead of "anew?" This translation is supported by the Hebrew cognate shuv. At present, I am trying to find a parallel in Aramaic literature that supports this reconstruction.
shlomo Kara,

Kara Wrote:Keefa, why wouldn't you translate the Syriac word "tuv" as "again" instead of "anew?" This translation is supported by the Hebrew cognate shuv. At present, I am trying to find a parallel in Aramaic literature that supports this reconstruction.

You seem to have confused two words located in different parts of this verse. Your initial post was about the word "Hatoeeth", but now you're talking about the word "tuv".

bashlomo,
keefa
???????? ???? ????????
???????????????????? ???????????????? ???????????????????? ???????? ??????????????? ????????????. ?????????????? ?????????? ??????????????????????????
abudar2000 Wrote:shlomo Kara,

Kara Wrote:Keefa, why wouldn't you translate the Syriac word "tuv" as "again" instead of "anew?" This translation is supported by the Hebrew cognate shuv. At present, I am trying to find a parallel in Aramaic literature that supports this reconstruction.

You seem to have confused two words located in different parts of this verse. Your initial post was about the word "Hatoeeth", but now you're talking about the word "tuv".

bashlomo,
keefa

Peace and Blessings,

Oops! Thank you for correcting my mistake. I may have to abandon this argument.