Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rival conjecture of "aphraates readings"
Quote:This is known as argument from authority. It wont do, except to show that there are acholars who think one way or another.
You have neglected to provide any evidence itself, and then ask ed that i show their position is untenable.

Judge, if Andrew or Paul quoted Westcott or Lamsa to support the case that the Peshitta existed before the fifth century, would you ask them to "provide evidence," or would you say "well-done?" The truth is that you are very uncritical about your own position because you're emotionally invested into it. That's your prerogative. But do not demand that I call fire from the sky, as though you are willing to even glance at my viewpoint.

Secondly, let me explain the appeal to authority. As each of us cannot know everything, we are forced to rely on those who specialize in the fields holding our interest. For instance, if I wanted to argue that white zinfandel wine is a better tasting wine than red wine, I would need to appeal to world-class wine-tasters. In social sciences, such as history, economics, psychology and law, the argument from authority is valid, as long as the following conditions are met:

a) the right authority is considered (One cannot use a doctor's view to support a political argument)
b) the sources are cited
c) sources are impartial and cross-checked

For example, in the case of the effects of child molestation, an attorney will appeal to a child psychologist to support his argument. The key word here is support. I cannot prove anything in this subject, but I can support my argument to a very high degree. But you know this, since you admit we aren't dealing with "maths."

I'm tired of having this talk with you, Judge. Instead of nick-picking my quotes, how about you show how my argument is weak because of a, b, and c reasons?

And please, for my sanity, purchase "A Rulebook for Arguments," by Anthony Weston.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 03-31-2010, 02:11 AM
Re: - by Kara - 03-31-2010, 03:34 AM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 03-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Re: rival conjecture of "aphraates readings" - by Kara - 04-06-2010, 11:18 PM