Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
syllogism I
Peace and Blessings,

If the Peshitta NT was the principal text of the Syriac-speaking church, since the beginning, then it would have been introduced to the Armenian and Georgian nations after their conversion.

The Armenian and Georgian versions of the NT are largely based on the Old Syriac (Sinaiticus):

G and A, now one, now the other, often both, contain readings found in Syr (sin), but not in Sch. But they give next to no readings from Sch which are not in Syr (sin) as well. Moreover, in a considerable number of cases Syr (sin) is the only extant source which contains the readings of G and A, and these readings are often literal renderings of the tricks of translation of Syr (sin). It follows that a Syriac version of the same type as Syr (sin) was used by the first translators of A and G, and not a Peshitta text. The only path from the latter to either A or G lies through Syr (sin) or Syr (cur)....the Georgian and Armenian churches were offshoots of the Syrian, and must have used for translation that form of Syriac text which was accredited and commonly used in Syriac churches and by the Syriac missionaries. Since they both used a text akin to Syr (sin), it follows that that was the accredited text, and that the Peshitta text was not yet in vogue; probably because-as its contents suggest-it was not yet in existence.

Therefore, the Peshitta was not always the Syriac-speaking church's principal text

Bibliography

Conybeare, F.C. "The Growth of the Peshitt ?? Version of the New Testament. Illustrated from the Old Armenian and Georgian Versions." American Journal of Theology 1.4 (1897): 910. 30 Mar 2010.
The Armenians are monophysites like the Jacobites right? And Rabbula was a Jacobite right?

Akhi with all due respect you need to spend a bit more time studying history and a little less time cutting and pasting from Internet sites. This doesn't do any justice to the intelligence I know you possess.

Think of Jacobites as the Sunnis and the Coe as Shiites. Or of the former as Samaritans and the latter as Jews. Different groups ok!

Posted with TouchBB on my iPhone
Paul Younan Wrote:The Armenians are monophysites like the Jacobites right? And Rabbula was a Jacobite right?

Akhi with all due respect you need to spend a bit more time studying history and a little less time cutting and pasting from Internet sites. This doesn't do any justice to the intelligence I know you possess.

Think of Jacobites as the Sunnis and the Coe as Shiites. Or of the former as Samaritans and the latter as Jews. Different groups ok!

Posted with TouchBB on my iPhone

Apart from being condescending, you are relying entirely on a straw-man argument. I demonstrated that the "Syriac-speaking church," which include Nestorians and monophysites, used the Veta Syra (sin) for the Armenian NT. Unless the Veta Syra shows monophysite tracings, then I'm not interested.

Again, when I say Syriac-speaking church, I am referring to Nestorians and monophysites.