Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translations of the word 'love'
In John 21;15 we have Yeshua asking Simon if he Loves him.
need someone to tell me what these words mean in Aramaic.

The word used by Christ is '0nwy' compared to 'Mxrd' which is returned by Simon 3 times.

From the Greek translations we have Christ using Agapao or Agapi and Simon returning the word 'Fileo' which are different forms of the word Love ion Greek.

Agapao I believe means a strong Love whereas Fileo means a friendship.
the truth nothing but the truth will do
In the Peshitta, Simon is returning the same word that Yeshua asked him. It comes out of the R:Ch:M root, peal form, active participle. So if Yeshua is asking "are you loving" then Simon is returning, "yes I am loving".

But I don't think it is "loving" because I think "love" is the best fit for the Ch:B root, aphel stem. It is the one used in John 3:16, "for God so loved the world", and elsewhere where it says "husbands love your wives".

So other than thinking it is not "love", I really don't know what the word for John 21:15 is. It seems a bit elusive.
Shlama, CreationTruth.

You must be mistaken. The word that Jesus uses for love and Peter's reply are the same: ??????????
Except that Peter's reply has a dalet proclitic for "that I love you".

The "0nwy" you saw is probably part of Peter's name: ?????????????? ???????????????? ?????????????? ???????????????????????, that is Shemun Kifo Shemun Baryowna.

bar Sinko
Oh I see it now.
yes D or Dalet is in front of the same word for Love.

Why do you think the Greeks used two different words in these scriptures?

Wish I knew Aramaic.
the truth nothing but the truth will do
Shlama CreationTruth,

I don't have any good idea why the Greeks used two different words, especially the third time Jesus asks the question he uses "phileo" not "agape", just as Peter had used every time.

There has been a lot of discussion about this already on this forum. I'm going to check out some of it now.

bar Sinko
This is a bit off-topic from the Greek aspect of splitting the word, but I was looking today a little closer at the R:Ch:M root, the peal form, in the Aramaic. It has numerous uses in the Hebrew OT as well. It looks to be of the nature of "to favor". A noun form of the same root is pretty clearly translated as "a friend", which could be derived from "a favored person".

So in terms of the substance of the word, in the Aramaic, I think Yeshua is probably asking him something to the effect of, are you "favoring" me. Or, to delve into its most colloquial form, something like are you "liking" me, although my guess is that "favoring" is closer to it.