Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lue 1:20
Hello.

in the Luke passage when Gabriel visits Zechariah, the angel gave Zecharian a sign!

MKYL THWA $TYQ WLA T$KX LMMLLW EDMA LYWMA DHLYN NHWYN EL DLA HYMNT LMLY HLYN DMTMLYN BZBNHYN

Etheridge: From henceforth thou shalt be dumb, and shalt not be able to speak, till the day when these things shall be done, because thou hast not believed these words, which shall be fulfilled in their time.

Murdock: Henceforth thou wilt be dumb, and unable to speak, until the day when these things take place: because thou believedst not my words, which will be fulfilled in their time.

KJB: And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season.

My question is........ for those with the knowledge,
Can the aramaic word "$TYQ" be translated to mean, not being able to hear?

readon for asking is that, i heard from Michael Rood.......

that later in the story, we ae told that in the 8th day of John the baptist, Elizabath was going to name him John! And the people present were making signs to Zechariah concerning the name they have chosen for his son.
If he could hear, there was no need to make signs to Zechariah!

I found this interesting, because i always had the impression he was only not able to speak.

i look forward to replies. [p.s. if you have greek knowledge also, i wonder if the greek too supports this idea that he was dumb and deaf. thank you]

Peace of messiah be with you all.
The reference regarding signs as mentioned is Luke 1:62.
Although I shall provide little insight here, I see 3 possibilities for this:
  1. Shatiq can be interpreted as deaf.
  2. The people asking about his child's name didn't know he wasn't deaf.
  3. His muteness was not explicitly mentioned. (Unlikely)