Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Am The Living God
April 27, 2009

The phase [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]0n0 0n0[/font] is found in the Peshitta. On pages 31-32 of the 3rd Edition of his book, The Original Aramaic New Testament in Plain English, Dave Bauscher says that this is equivalent to an idiom ???Ena Na??? which 97% of the time indicates speech from the Deity in the Old Testament Peshitta text (144 of the 148 times in five Old Testament books). He also says that it is equivalent to ???I am AHIAH ASHAR HIGH??? in Exodus 3:14, ???I AM WHO I AM???. Lamsa translates it as ???I am THE LIVING GOD???. Dave Bauscher uses this translation in evey occurrence when spoken by the Messiah in the New Testament.

For example, Bauscher translates John 10:11 as ???I AM THE LIVING GOD, the Good Shepherd, The Good Shepherd lays down his life for his flock.???

Comments please....

Otto
Hi,

With all respect for his work, on whom I did base my current translation of the NT,
I find the support for this assertion is not very persuasive.

He says: "97%?"

What would be the 3%? I bet that the former blind men, would qualify for the 'non-divine' meaning?
John 9:9 literally uses the same phrase. The 'blind' man said: "Ena na!" (It's me!)

If this, for 97% would have a devine sound for aramaic listeners, the blind man would have risked stoning to death for sounding like: "I AM the living God."

But he was not accused of having said: "I AM" but accused for announcing that Jesus was the Messiah.

In fact, there is just one sentence, used by Paul that really refers to Exodus 3:14

Hebrews 1:12 (Murdock)
and like a cloak, thou wilt fold them up. They will be changed; but thou wilt be as thou art, and thy years will not be finished.
I think that this issue is more linguistic than theological. It concerns the way in which Dave Bauscher translated the words that mean "I am" throughout the Peshitta when spoken by Yeshua.

Otto
ograabe Wrote:I think that this issue is more linguistic than theological. It concerns the way in which Dave Bauscher translated the words that mean "I am" throughout the Peshitta when spoken by Yeshua.

Otto

You are correct, Otto.

"Ena na" does mean "I am" in Aramaic, but it does not always mean the same thing as the Hebrew in Exodus. I can, for instance, say "Ena na Anasha" (I am a man)...."Ena na Ashuraya" (I am an Assyrian), etc.

There's nothing magical, outside of specific context, with the term "Ena na." When Meshikha told the Pharisees "Before Abraham was, Ena na"....they were not offended that He simply used "Ena na", the phrase is harmless enough. They were offended because He, contextually, was implying that He is Eternal.
+Shamasha Paul bar-Shimun de'Beth-Younan
[Image: sig.jpg]
Paul Younan Wrote:
ograabe Wrote:I think that this issue is more linguistic than theological. It concerns the way in which Dave Bauscher translated the words that mean "I am" throughout the Peshitta when spoken by Yeshua.

Otto

You are correct, Otto.

"Ena na" does mean "I am" in Aramaic, but it does not always mean the same thing as the Hebrew in Exodus. I can, for instance, say "Ena na Anasha" (I am a man)...."Ena na Ashuraya" (I am an Assyrian), etc.

There's nothing magical, outside of specific context, with the term "Ena na." When Meshikha told the Pharisees "Before Abraham was, Ena na"....they were not offended that He simply used "Ena na", the phrase is harmless enough. They were offended because He, contextually, was implying that He is Eternal.

what if you speak only "Ena na"? Will the meaning be different?
Havah Wrote:what if you speak only "Ena na"? Will the meaning be different?

Yes, absolutely. Just like in Hebrew or English the meaning will be contextually different. The offensive part to the Pharisees was "Before Abraham was, I am".....it's an even bolder statement than "Before Abraham was, I was."

Really a declaration of Omnipresence.
+Shamasha Paul bar-Shimun de'Beth-Younan
[Image: sig.jpg]
Rafa Wrote:Maybe the words "I AM" should just be left capitalized in a future translation whenever spoken by Meshikha. This prevents any possible "targumming" problem such as this and retains the meaning witnessed here in John 10:11 (prior use sets precedence in my personal opinion, so I would always capitalize the "I AM" when the Messiah said the words).

Hi,

I've done this 28 times in my translation, but using italic font. However, I doubt this as this calls an 'idea' into the reader, and I'm still not sure, whether or not, 'ena na', when especially said by Jeshua, it should be translated to divince meaning.

Why not leave that to the readers own mind?

The Master said that when one of His followers was indwelt by the Holy Spirit, then the Holy Spirit would lead them and guide them into all truth....

It seems to me that this would be true here. If the Holy Spirit has indwelt you, then simply seek His guidence and leading and God will give you help. If not, then you are left to your own understanding and the advice of other people's understanding.

John 16:13-14
Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, Hewill guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for He shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

1 Cor 2:10-13
But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches...

Eph 1:17
...that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him,...

I Jn 2:20
But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things.

I Jn 2:27
But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.