Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locust vs. Desert Plant
Shlama Forum:
I've been enjoying reading the various posts and leads as to the desert diet of John the Baptist. I especially enjoyed reading about the desert monks and their complete dependence on desert grasses and flowers. There is very little literature that I know of as to the Jewish/Torah counterpart in the early first century as to the eating of locusts and grasshoppers. There seems to be much more literature from Gentile Christian sources in the use of available desert plants.
However, until it can be shown historically and/or geographically unlikely that John the Baptist could not supplement his daily diet with locusts, I will continue to go p'shat for what it's worth.

Shlama,
Stephen
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com">www.dukhrana.com</a><!-- w -->
My personal opinion is this.

People want the apostles to be like them and often they re-imagine them to be more like themselves than what they really are. Like some Westerns picture white Jesus without a beard, speaking English singing praise and worship music at Church, but you guys know what he was really like. So people who don't like the idea of eating them, come up with alternatives, as they can't stand the idea of eating locusts.

The fact is the Torah says there are four kinds/families of kosher flying insects and they are so incredibly nutritious that you can live off them if you supplement them with honey. There is the swarm mode and the solitude mode.

There are Mirachi Rabbis who have said their favourite food is locusts.

Locusts are the kosher version of shrimp, prawns and crawfish, as they're both arthropods.
dowidh Wrote:People want the apostles to be like them and often they re-imagine them to be more like themselves than what they really are. Like some Westerns picture white Jesus without a beard, speaking English singing praise and worship music at Church...
QFT ("Quoted for truth", if you're unfamiliar with that). If I can have a forum signature, this is a great candidate.

This phenomenon is real and largely subconscious.

If only people of all churches/denominations realized how very much this very dynamic affects not only their reading of Scripture, but also the readings and interpretations taken by their "church fathers" - and consequently, even their most ancient doctrines...

But His ways are not our ways.
Laralogan Wrote:This is a very popular question. And an important one, but even if you aren?t following a plant-based diet, do YOU know how much protein you should be eating on a daily basis?

Shlama Laralogan:
I have no idea how much protein I should be eating daily. Enlighten me.

Shlama,
Stephen Silver