Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Alef and Tav connection & Peshitta
According to some, there is this next connection between the hebrew OT, and Jesus.

In revelation, 22:6 for instance, Jesus sais: "I am the Alef and the Tav..."

I was surprised to see that these letters occur 7372 times in the OT. For instance

Zacharias 12:10
[Image: zacharias12v10.gif]

Genesis 1:1 [Image: aleftav_genesis1vers1.gif]

The idea is, that you could read Jesus Christ at all places where Alef and Tav are written.

But how does the OT peshitta relate to this?
Shlama akhi,

The Peshitta Tanakh is similar but doesn't use the Aleph in the same way, instead being "Yod"

The following is from Targum for Gen. 1:1

[Image: gen1-targ.jpg]

[font=Levistam (V1.1)]ty[/font]

Shlama,
Ya'aqub Younan-Levine
Aramaica.org
Shlama distazo,

The Alef-Tav you are referring to is, in Biblical Hebrew, actually an object marker. When the direct object of a verb is a definite noun (i.e. has the definite article) or is a proper noun, it is usually preceded by the object marker -?????? ('eth-).

Aramaic makes use of a similar object marker, but instead of Alaf-Tav it is Yodh-Tav, -???? (yath-). The particle -?? (l-) can also take on the role to identify a direct object that is definite. Which one is preferably used seems to depend on the dialect.

In order to relate to some of my recent studies; the Aramaic found in transcriptions from Palmyra and Petra (Nabatean) makes use of -???? while for example inscriptions from Hatra (same period, middle Aramaic) does not use -????. On the flip side the Targums (Onkelos & Jonathan) makes heavy use of -????.

However, as far as I know, Syriac does not use the -???? marker. But never the less the opening verse in Peshitta OT (Gen 1:1) does contain Yod-Heh, but my guess is that it is there in order to read closer to the opening verse of the Hebrew text, as the remianing text after Gen 1:1, at a quick glance, goes over to exclusivly use -?? when a marker is used at all.

Lars
Thanks all for the comments.

So, what about the link to Jesus? I think this goes one bridge too far to assume it really is a 'hidden' marker for Jesus (the Messiah).