Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daughter Of A Voice
Shlama Akhi Jeremy:
I was wondering when someone would stumble upon [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0lq tnb[/font] "b'nat koli". Check out the importance of this phrase in Acts 12:22.

John Wesley Etheridge
Acts 12:22 But all the people exclaimed, and said, These are the words (Benoth kolee, "voices.") of a god, and not of a man.

Note: Etheridge recognised the title [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0lq tnb[/font] in the Peshitta text he used in 1848 and noted it at the end of the paragraph.

It's the same as in I Timothy 6:20. However in I Timothy 6:20 the word ser??ktha distinguishes the difference.
1Timothy 6:20 O Timothy, watch over that which is confided to thee, and fly from vain words, [B'noth kolee ser??ktho, vain voices.] and the turnings of false knowledge.

Talmud - Masekhta - Pesachim 94a, 94b
For R. Johanan b. Zakkai said: What answer did the Bath Kol give that wicked man (Nebuchadnezzar) when he asserted, ???I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the Most High???? A Bath Kol came forth and rebuked him: ???Thou wicked man, son of a wicked man, descendant of the wicked *Nimrod, who incited the whole world to rebel *himrid against Me during his reign!

* This is a play on the name Nimrod, deriving it from [font="Levistam (V1.1)"]drm[/font] marad, to rebel, revolt.

In the context B'nat Koli could be considered an equivalent expression for the Holy Spirit, but since it is used twice in the Peshitta New Testament negatively, I rather think that it is a warning to take care not to attribute the Voice of the Holy Spirit incorrectly as b'nat koli "daughter voice", as in the case of Herod and the warning to Timothy. This flies in the face of the Talmudic reading of the Gamara in Masekhta - Pesachim 94a, 94b, as in other places where the bath kol sides with Hillel against Shammai. This is somewhat controvercial and I hope no one is offended by my elaboration on this sensitive subject.

Shlama,
Stephen
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com">http://www.dukhrana.com</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread
Daughter Of A Voice - by Burning one - 12-24-2008, 04:33 AM
Re: Daughter Voice - by Stephen Silver - 12-24-2008, 05:27 AM
Re: Daughter Of A Voice - by Burning one - 12-24-2008, 06:41 AM
Re: Daughter Of A Voice - by Burning one - 12-24-2008, 06:44 AM
Re: Daughter Of A Voice - by Stephen Silver - 12-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Re: Daughter Of A Voice - by Burning one - 12-25-2008, 08:46 AM