Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The elusive ph of the Eastern pronunciation.
Shlama all.

I read abudar2000's reply on Learning Aramaic Pronunciation. One part of it said:
abudar2000 Wrote:...In Western Syriac-Aramaic the p is only pronounced as "ph" and never "p??? (unless you develop a belief like me that "p" and "ph" have their place according to the rules)....

So I was curious what he meant about their place according to the rules.
You see I've been reading Rev. Thomas Arayathinal's Grammar which says that in Eastern Syriac-Aramaic ph is always pronounced p, with these few exceptions:
????????????????????(wild grapes)????????????(occasion)??????????????????(indigestion of stomach)????????????(pitch)??????????????????(torrent)??????????????(type)??????????(Japhet)????????????????(beans)????????????????(lantern)????????????(Naphta)????????????(soul)????????????????(Naphtaly)????????????????(a seat: throne)????????????????(a sword)????????????(winnowing fan)????????????????pesilta (cut stone) ??? with the prefix ??:???????????????????? baphsilta.

And when a verb starting with ??is prefixed with any of the letters:????????it also is ph. Such as????????????(he will open)
????????????(he will meet)
??????????????(it will become wide)
????????????(to open)
????????????(to meet)
????????????(to become wide)

Whew.. so with all that out.. what I want to know is are there any other rules abudar2000 or anyone else for that matter takes into account when deciding wheather or not to say ph or p.

David R.
shlom lokh oH David,

The rules that I'm talking about are "qushoyo and rukokho" which govern the following letters "b,g,d,k,p,t" (and extra rules such as gemination, etc...)
(These rules apply to classical Syriac-Aramaic; and are the same in both East-Syriac and West-Syriac )

qushoyo:
b,g,d,k,p,t

rukokho:
v,gh,dh,kh,ph,th

ex:
-qurbono <= the "b" is qushoyo here because the consonant before it doesn't have a vowel (excluding ptoho, rvoso, short 'soso)
-beth <= the "b" is qushoyo here because it at the beginning of the word, and the "th" is rukokho because it is preceded by a long vowel.
-avo <= the "v" should have been qushoyo, instead of rukokho, but this is an exception to the rule.

-The influence of Bedul on them (b,d,w,l)
==>lvaro <= because "baro" has a Bedul consonant in front of it the "b" is pronounced as "v"

-If we finish a word in the Emphatic state, depending on the syllable:
==> avo dheelokh <== notice that the "d" is pronounced as "dh"

-The same applies for "p" and "ph"
peero => bpheero

push bashlomo,
keefa-morun