Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about the Aramaic English New Testament
About Mari/PEACE???
Sent: Wed 10/29/08 2:22 PM
To:
Cc:

Dear Andrew and Baruch,

I want to communicate to you both, DO NOT write to me again at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:aramaic_albion@hotmail.com">aramaic_albion@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->, I'm currently using a Linux operating system on my computer, and it informed me last night that <!-- e --><a href="mailto:aramaic_albion@hotmail.com">aramaic_albion@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->, is "a pretend site", that is, it doesn't belong to MSN at all, but is coming in and out one of David Screeton's servers. So essentially, whenever you communicate with me using that address, you're communicating with him. Anything that either of you would send to me, you're sending to him, as well. The most dangerous part being what happens when your information passes through his computer, what does it have attached to it, perhaps nothing, perhaps a lot. But to be on the safe side, please do not use this address for me again. I tell you this as a friend to keep you both safe. Thank you very much for hearing me out about that subject.

OK, let me go on to a much brighter subject, Mari/PEACE. I want to thank you both, as well as Shali, for your very hard work on Mari/PEACE. I think the translation is well done, and precise. You know how much that I care for you, Andrew, and you know how much I look up to you. So if I could offer some constructive criticism at this point about Mari/PEACE, I think that we could make the next edition a much better New Covenant than the present one is. Let me enumerate how I think we could do this. Below are the changes that I think might be helpful in future editions.

1. I think instead of the rather flimsy cardboard cover that Mari/PEACE has on it now, that it would be better to either put a much thicker cardboard underneath the leatherette covering, or to put a flex cover on it and do away with the cardboard all together. I think that with the present covering on it, that if it is not handled very gently and carefully, I think it might last 1 year, 1-1/2 to 2 years, before the cover has to be replaced.

2. I know that all 3 of you, as well as other helpers, put great time and energy into trying to correct grammatical errors, typos, and spelling mistakes. However, it seems to me that in the first few pages that there were numerous typographical errors and spelling mistakes including something so simple as spelling "Mattai" as "Matti". It seems to me that there were a lot of typos and grammatical errors that simply slipped through the hard work that all of you did. This continues throughout a lot of the book of Matthew, where I am reading currently. Now, I know that you sent me a computer copy of Matthew's Gospel, but you must remember, because of David, I had to try to read the whole thing in one night before he went into my account and took it away from me, or my greatest fear (which never materialized) was that he would take the whole book that you to sent me, and publish it at Peshitta.org, and make it look like I did it. So I personally feel some guilt and responsibility for not being more studious in trying to have an editor's eye in reading Matthew's Gospel. I have had a chance to read through some of the appendices at the back of the book, and these also have numerous spelling mistakes and typos, as well as your introduction to the book itself.

3. I also think that if perhaps you could make the fonts a bit larger, that it would make it easier on old eyes such as mine, to read Mari/PEACE without having to hold it under a bright lamp. I would think that I'm not the only older person reading Mari, and I already know that you have a heart to serve your readers, so I would suggest this as also another option.

I want you both to please understand that these are criticisms from a friend, from someone who cares deeply about you both, and the work that you are doing. I want to be proud of a product that I had a very small part in, and I don't want the reading public to repudiate your translation because of typos, spelling mistakes, and grammatical errors. I think it's very important to understand that if these mistakes could be cleaned up, and perhaps a new cover put on Mari/PEACE, that you would have an excellent 100% edition of Mari/PEACE.

I basically have been afraid to write to you my real feelings about something which is so dear to all of our hearts, but I feel if I don't do this that I perform a disservice not only to you, but to the reading public, as well. It grieves me that I had to write this, but I felt that it was necessary and I owe you nothing less than the truth.

I would like to discuss one more phrase that I saw in your book and this is "the harlot church". You'll please excuse me for saying that I found this phrase spiritually offensive and every Body of Believers that I have been associated with, there have been some REAL Believers. This includes Protestant churches, sacramental churches, and even Conservative Friends meetings. There have been real Called Out people in all of these denominations. Which one of these is the "harlot church"? I think it is easier to lead people with something sweet than it is with something bitter, and this phrase, "the harlot church", is a bitter phrase.

Now I know probably more than most Gentiles would what the so-called "church" has done to your people in the past, and I might add, continues to do to this day, in some places in the world. But you know, in spite of that, you need to get rid of this phrase, "the harlot church".

I think that you want to uplift people with this translation and not have anyone feel put down by it. Think how those who are new to the Aramaic Primacy Movement and the Peshitta New Covenant in general, would take such a phrase, especially if they were inside a church.

Baruch asked me how I liked Mari/PEACE, and I wanted to be as honest with both of you as possible here. Again, please take my criticism as constructive from one who is a friend and who is on your side. I do think that the translation itself is very well done with the exceptions of the things I spoke about above. I hope that you take this in the spirit that it is written in, and are not offended in any way. I am your friend and continue to love you and count you as one of the Righteous people whom I have been blessed to know in this life. I'll stop this letter now and send it on to you both, and I hope that you have a great day. I would appreciate you letting me know how you feel about what I've written here, and if anything that I've said may be helpful to you.

Shlama, Albion

You people know NOTHING about combatting REAL MAGIC and the occult. Ignorant believers.

I've warned you and told you, you plug your ears, and REFUSE TO LISTEN!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Questions about the Aramaic English New Testament - by The Truth Committee - 11-05-2008, 05:51 PM