Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about the Aramaic English New Testament
Shlama Akhi Daniel,

Some typos are inevitable in a first edition of this size. I am only aware of a few of them, but for others, that is what the website is for, <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.aent.org">www.aent.org</a><!-- w -->. Baruch and I will try to deal with anything that we need to do in order to make the translation clearer, better, more accessible, etc. To the extent that a reading here or there may not be as clear--which is one of the reasons for the extensive footnotes and supplemental materials--that could in theory cause a misperception in doctrine. Although, it is fair to point out even the best readings can also be erroneously interpreted. Nestle Aland is on their 26th or later edition I believe for this reason. Even KJV has been updated a few times. Lamsa also had an updated version of his NT come out many years later with his original notes restored.

Typos will get fixed, but the larger work is this other process. I am not sure though I understand your question fully though because I have always said there will be future editions and updates between editions. I am not, nor is Baruch, so arrogant as to think everything perfect the first time out. Nor do we think that whatever issues there may be that they are not important. In fact, this may be the first fully interactive translation that I am aware of. This is the power of the internet where the world's eyes can help. Of course, there is a dark side as well to this, as with many things in life.

I view the Aramaic Peshitta as a purely fixed text, but the English can be expressed in a variety of ways, some subjective others not, and how it comes across may be a matter of personal taste. You can't please everybody, so ultimately it is my job to make the best work I can and yes that goes through my own judgment and knowledge, but again, not from a place where I can't be corrected now and then. Where different meanings are possible I really try to show them.

But I can tell you this: No one has opened the process up as we have. If I wanted to I could just say that when all typos were taken care of the English is perfect, don't ask me anything. In the past, once the English of a translation was fixed that was it until the next comittee or what have you did another go at it. I don't want to go 14 years as JPS did between its 1985 and 1999 Tanakh editions. People are going to read Mari and bring things to my attention regardless, so I am not so foolish as to ignore that as a resource and use what we can to get out a later edition.

Hope this helps!
Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Messages In This Thread
Re: Questions about the Aramaic English New Testament - by Andrew Gabriel Roth - 11-03-2008, 05:42 AM