Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John 1:14 - "tabernacled among us"
Shlama all!

Does anyone have Aramaic insight into John 1:14, as it regards to the wordplay in Greek that perhaps points to a Sukkot birth for Yeshua? I am directly referring to its the Greek usage of ???????????? for "dwell" or "tabernacle" ... I have read that this ???????????? is the same word that the Septuagint uses to describe the booths (sukkot) Jews are commanded to build during the Holy Festival of Sukkot (Leviticus 23:42). Does the Aramaic word used here have this same type of connection to Tabernacle and/or Sukkot?

I hope this question makes sense!

Thanks!
Shlama Brantana,

This is a great question, and the answer is...YES...

...and no.

Let me explain. It is true that the Greek word does carry the meaning of "tabernacle" as well as "dwell" but the word in Aramaic John 1:14 is really just "dwell" so in that sense, no.

On the other hand, we have this kind of imagery elsewhere in the Peshitta:

And Keefa responded and said to Y'shua, "My Master, it is good for us that we are here. And if you desire, let us make you here three mataliyn , one for you and one for Moshe and one for Eliyahu."

Matti 17:4 (Mari)

Now mataliyn in my English text is "shelters", and it is shelters that are used in Sukkot. I mean that is the whole point, the the temporary shelter is "tabernacled" in to commemorate the time Israel was in the wilderness. When I was doing research for my first book "Signs of the Cross", I often wondered if the Transfiguration could be happening around the time Sukkot for this very reason, but ultimately I decided I could not prove it so I set it aside. There were stronger indices of Sukkot elsewhere, such as with the Nativity, but that is another story. Also, there is to my mind a clue in this part of John that also points to the time of year but in another way.

Hope this helps!

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth
Toda Rabba ya Akhi Andrew.

Andrew Gabriel Roth Wrote:Also, there is to my mind a clue in this part of John that also points to the time of year but in another way.

When you have the time could you expand your thoughts here? I would really appreciate seeing what you are referring to in this scripture!

Shabbat Shalom (almost)!
Akhokh