Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 Peter 4:1 dead or suffering ?
Shalom,

I originally wanted to post it in the Mistranslations section but it seems like whenever I try to approach it I'm too tired to dig deep and check everything so I thought that will check some grammar with others here.

Here we go:

1Peter 4:1 If then the Messiah hath suffered for you in the flesh, do ye also arm yourselves with the same mind: for every one that is dead in his body, hath ceased from all sins, [Murdock]

1Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; [KJV, and all other Greek-text based English translations]

Can you see the difference ?

The Greek word for "suffer" for the phrase in bold above is "pathon", which is II Aoristus Active Participium of "pascho" - suffer, endure. Vulgata has it as "qui passus est carne", i.e. "whose body has passed (or endured)" (my own poor translation), passus here is from "patior" (from which also English "patience" comes, I believe).

Aramaic has there "dmoet", a form of "mwt" which is "dead" or "dying". Here is my little grammar question now - how are you reading Aramaic here - is it "dead" or rather "dying"?

Note that Peshitta is simpler (!) and makes much more sense in the wider context - yes, "if you are dead you do not sin".

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jerzy
[edited one sentence to clarify what I am looking for]
Wow - thank you Jerzy for an example that both utilizes the Aramaic to clarify the meaning, and also gives us additional insight into Shimon Keepa's instruction to us here.

+Shamasha
shlom lokh oH Jerzy,

enarxe Wrote:Aramaic has there "dmoet", a form of "mwt" which is "dead" or "dying". Here is my little grammar question now - how are you reading Aramaic here - is it "dead" or rather "dying"?

Note that Peshitta is simpler (!) and makes much more sense in the wider context - yes, "if you are dead you do not sin".
[edited one sentence to clarify what I am looking for]

I would render it as "dies"

Translation => "... for every one who dies in the flesh, hath ceased from all sins."

push bashlomo,
keefa-morun
Did not Paul say "I die daily". Also in peter it saids 'he that suffers ( is that the correct translation?) in the flesh , has ceased from sin".
Sorry, "he that dies in the flesh", I'm at the library and running out of time, my computer at home is not working at the moment.
Lamsa translation:

1 Peter 4: 1-2

"Forasmuch then as Christ has suffered for you in the flesh, arm yourselves also with this very thought; he who subdues his body ceases from all sin; that he should no longer live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men but to the will of God."

Blessings,

Otto