Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about tribal name in Gilyana
abudar2000 Wrote:shlomo Jeremy,

The name "ruven" in Aramaic is spelled "ruvel"; it has been spelled like that for a very long time, long before the time of msheeho and the apostles.
So no they didn't mis-translate Josephus' work, as he had written his work in Aramaic.

If you take a look at the Peshitta OT, then you'll see that it is spelled this way as well, and the Peshitta OT is a Proto-Masoretic Text.

In Aramaic the name "ruvel" means "God(El) is Great".

P.S. My suggestions about the "lomadh"/"nun" was more geared to how it happened in the pre-msheeho time period.

push bashlomo,
keefa-morun

Okay, the Peshitta TaNaK is not something i have ever had any real dealings with. so i had no idea about how his name appears there. alright, things are coming together now. thanks for your patience on this one.

still, though, i am intrigued about the original reading of Ruvel/Reuven in Gilyana, since you've brought up the similarity of the Ashuri script of the lomadh and nun. do you have any thoughts about that? because if the Greek has Reuben, and the two letters in question don't appear similar in that language, and the Estrangelo/Serto/Swadaya scripts also don't have the similarity, then doesn't it point to an Ashuri script original for Gilyana and not a Greek?

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy

Messages In This Thread
Re: Question about tribal name in Gilyana - by Burning one - 09-26-2008, 07:34 PM