Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mattai 28:1 A question regarding the word 'first of the week
Shlama Akhi Mark.

markt Wrote:Greetings Paul, if possible I would like to stick to what the Peshitta says and not what man says.

Great.

markt Wrote:To quote your own words "He rose on the 1st day of the week (Sunday) early in the morning before dawn....as the Scriptures plainly say....

Yes.

markt Wrote:If the women waited till after the sabbath to visit the tomb I am still hoping to get a response as to why they were walking on the sabbath to the tomb?

Who said they were walking on the Sabbath to the tomb? The scriptures certainly don't. The scriptures say that they walked to the tomb at dawn. Sabbath had ended about 10 hours before that time.

markt Wrote:If it was 'twilight of the sabbath now in the evening' which as stated precedes the first day, again why were they walking?

You don't understand.

The scriptures say that it was dawn, after the "ending" evening of the Sabbath.

The next day begins at Sundown in our culture. In the western world, we have clocks that strike midnight. We, here in the west, consider midnight to be the start of the next day. Not in the middle east, where they consider the sunset to be the next day. That means if the sun sets at 9pm on Saturday, it becomes Sunday. We're not waiting till 12:01 am to declare the start of Sunday. It happened already at 9:01 pm.

I hope that made sense?

markt Wrote:The reason I am asking these questions is because the argument has been presented that 'the twilight of the sabbath' must be the end of the sabbath because the scriptures (Peshitta) says so.

Yes, and it's not an argument it's fact.

markt Wrote:If as stated, the Peshitta has primacy over the Greek or other writings, this translation brings with it something to question, i.e. it's authenticity. Now by this, I mean it could be the Peshitta itself OR the translation.

Why?

markt Wrote:As we know in the world system of Christianity, the phrase 'first day of the week' has been at the forefront of much doctrine, e.g. Sunday worship, Sunday sabbath, doing away with the law (Torah), etc, etc, etc.

I hate to break this to you, but if you're looking for justification for a Sabbath resurrection, you're looking at the wrong version of scripture. There's absolutely nothing in the Peshitta, or the Greek and Latin for that matter, that says anything about the resurrection occurring on Saturday. Not a single mention of the Sabbath being the day the resurrection happened.

Quite to the contrary, the Aramaic clearly states that he was risen on the 1st day of the week. If you look at any Aramaic calendar, you will see the name of the first day of the week is the same as the word used in the scripture.

Take care!

+Shamasha Paul

Messages In This Thread
Re: Mattai 28:1 A question regarding the word 'first of the week - by Paul Younan - 08-12-2008, 02:34 PM