Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netzari Siddur Project
I'm currently working on a project to create a Netzari siddur. We need some help right now. We need proof readers, to check the translations and to check the general spelling and grammar of the English. We need help with textual criticism. What we have so far is straight BHK text, and I, at least, would like to go over it according to the DSS, POT, LXX, and SP. However, I have limited resources and virtually no knowledge of Greek and Aramaic. I could give it a go with just the DSS and SP, but that doesn't seem like the honest or scientific way to go about it. We also need tech support. We were worried about formating, but I think I have that covered now. We just need thoughts on web hosting and such.
If you're interested, whether you're an expert or a novice, we can use you. Please let me know if you want to participate.
I"m just bumping this up to see if anybody has any thoughts now.
Shlama Akhi Dawid,

I would probably want to see a siddur along the lines of what I am doing with MATARA. I would put more emphasis on MT of course, along with Targums/POT. Then I would supplement with Peshitta NT along the lines that I suggested at the end of AENT.

Hope this helps!
Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth
Will you follow the liturgy of Rabbinic? Which one will you follow, Ashkenozim, Sephardim, Temonim? Or Qara'im?
Or are you going to follow gentile Christians'?
Havah Wrote:Will you follow the liturgy of Rabbinic? Which one will you follow, Ashkenozim, Sephardim, Temonim? Or Qara'im?
Or are you going to follow gentile Christians'?
As far as following a single tradition straight through? None of the above.
what I have done is to research every liturgical tradition I can get my hands on. I have researched Nusach Ashkenaz, as well as Nusach Sephard. I have also researched Karaite, Samaritan, Ethiopian, Essene, Nestorian, and Roman Catholic liturgical traditions. I've also researched unidentified liturgical pieces, like the Nash Papyrus. I've done these to whatever extent I've been able to get my hands on resources. I've only just begun a serious examination of Samaritan liturgy, for instance. I just found where I can get a complete copy of the Defter. Until now all I had was a few excerpts. Of course, for Rabbinic traditions it's easy to get a hold of those, so I've been able to be a little more thorough.

So I've looked at them all and drawn on most of what I've researched to a greater or lesser extent. The siddur as it exists today draws the most from Karaite traditions, since they had a rule about including nothing in the liturgy but Scriptural quotations. (they've since mitigated, and include a few explanatory paragraphs and such that are not Scriptural, but it is still almost all Scriptural.) It should also be noted that the length of the Shema is taking from Karaite tradition, since they use an abbreviated version.
The only real similarity you'll see to Christian traditions is that this Siddur employs the Avinu in the place of the Amidah.

There are certain elements I would like to borrow from the Roman Catholic Breviary, but I am resisting. I like the way they include the daily readings in their breviary. But in Jewish tradition, I suppose that's really the place of a Chumash, rather than a Siddur.

As per the advice of Mr. Roth, I have just recently begun work on a sort of Hosphot for the siddur. The main portion contains only the required prayers. The Hosphot will contain additional readings that people may want to include. (Nash version of the Ten Words, as well as the Sermon on the Mount. Great suggestion, Mr. Roth.)

Shabbat shalom,
Dawid
P.S. Formatting has come back to haunt me. I've been able to format a prototype of the daily, Shabbat, and Rosh Chodesh services, but it's painstakingly slow going. I'm almost certain there's an easier way to do this, but I'm formatting everything by hand, line-by-line and it can take me hours to format short sections into a parallel format.
I'm dreading even more trying to add in transliterations, as has been suggested both by Mr. Roth and by his publisher, and by one of my mentors, Mr. Rosenberg.
Shalom Dawid,

I can help you out with Greek Orthodox liturgical texts if you haven't checked them out yet, let me know what traditions you want to know more about and I forward you some stuff, I have a huge liturgy archive on my hard drive (Coptic, Armenian, you name it). I also have BibleWorks, which has been immensely helpful with my textual criticism studies (I got some great modules, but perhaps nothing you've already seen before).

As for formatting, are you looking at print or web publishing, or both? Forward to me what you have so far and I'll see how I can help, I'm gonna PM you my email now.
Shalom, Shlama, Salaam & Yiasou.
Shlama Akhi Dawid,

I should add that my publisher Baruch found a software product called "In Design" helpful in doing the layout for AENT. On the other hand, he needed an expert to show him how it worked, but once he got it down it worked brilliantly.

Hope this helps!
Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth
Andrew Gabriel Roth Wrote:Shlama Akhi Dawid,

I should add that my publisher Baruch found a software product called "In Design" helpful in doing the layout for AENT. On the other hand, he needed an expert to show him how it worked, but once he got it down it worked brilliantly.

Hope this helps!
My parents own and use In Design regularly for their business. It's more expensive than I can manage, and they're busy, though.
Shalom, Dawid.

Although today is Oct. 12, 2010, I just saw your post of July 2, 2008, asking for proofreaders to help with the Netzari Siddur Project. I am a professional proofreader and would like to participate in this project, or others, whenever I can.

Thank you,

John