Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the King
brecker Wrote:
Quote:Do you think that Jesus Christ is some kind of macho tatooed warrior?
Actually, that's exactly how Revalation 19 describes Him!
"Then I saw the heavens opened, and there was a white horse; its rider was (called) "Faithful and True." He judges and wages war in righteousness.
His eyes were (like) a fiery flame, and on his head were many diadems. He had a name 8 inscribed that no one knows except himself.
He wore a cloak that had been dipped in 9 blood, and his name was called the Word of God.
The armies of heaven followed him, mounted on white horses and wearing clean white linen.
Out of his mouth came a sharp sword to strike the nations. He will rule them with an iron rod, and he himself will tread out in the wine press the wine of the fury and wrath of God the almighty.
He has a name written on his cloak and on his thigh, "King of kings and Lord of lords."

Anyway, I certainly don't want to cause an argument. I respect your belief that tatoos are inappropriate, and I know many Christians that agree with you. For this reason, I'm getting it in an area that people wouldn't see, so as to not offend my Christian brothers.
You say that this language is beautiful, and I agree with you. How can getting something "beautiful and precious" on my body "mar" it? This is not a scar or blemish, but a beautiful reminder of my faith. I know of no scripture that shows tatoos to be an offront to God. This is a gray area, with room for disagreement, but I don't think you can use the New Testament to prove that tatoos offend God. Thank you very much for your reply, and I appreciate your spiritual fervor in protecting the holiness of our God.

Hi Brecker:
Although as Christians, we are not under the Law, we are made aware by the Spirit of God that the Law is the indictment of our sin in the flesh (Romans 3:31, 6:5, 15, 7:7, 14, 18). Leviticus 21:5 forbids cutting of the flesh. Now contextually this is a prohibition of the making of any permanent mark on one's body for the dead. You will certainly argue that Jesus is risen from the dead, so it's OK to get a tattoo. If it's OK to mark your body permanently, then it's OK to smoke cigatettes, toke marijuana and become addicted to crack cocaine. None of these things are specifically prohibited in the letter of the Law. It's the spirit of the Law that our gracious LORD Jesus Christ is calling us to observe, Becker. That's why it's not OK to get tattooed. It is the Spirit of God that guides us into ALLTRUTH. Our obedience is required.

As for your quote of Revelation 19:16 where it is quoted KING of KINGS and LORD of LORDS ,so also understand that Jesus is THE WORD OF GOD (Revelation 19:13) and validates the Law of Moses (Matthew 5:17-18). So, you will not find any scriptural excuse to permanently mark your body either by ommision or commision. To do so, you break the "spirit of the Law" and will find yourself in an unhappy state of disobedience.

As for the word picture of Christ's return on a white horse in warrior's garb, you miss the point I was making. Indeed, Christ will return and establish His kingdom for 1000 years in Jerusalem, Israel and rule the world. He is compared to a "warrior on a white horse". However, I am referring to the macho image of a tattoo, not our Saviour who is the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2). You and I are to humble ourselves, and are cautioned not to display an arrogant, macho attitude. Christ didn't have this type of attitude in his earthly ministry and he certainly doesn't have a macho attitude in heaven, where he makes intercession for all the saints, which includes you and me, Brecker. We still have a responsibility to "abstain from all appearance of evil". You may argue that a tattoo is not evil, but if you make cuttings in your flesh, contrary to the scritures and teach other young Christians by your example to do so, you are not grasping the responsibility that is expected of a teacher. A counselor at a Christian camp is a teacher.
Rather Brecker, I suggest that you learn Aramaic and Hebrew. Champion the scriptures. In this you will truly become a warrior of the Word of God and be well pleasing to our LORD Jesus by your obedience. Stick around and learn from the scholars on this forum who know the Word of God and do it.

Shlama,
Stephen Silver
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com">http://www.dukhrana.com</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread
For the King - by brecker - 06-28-2008, 01:10 AM
Re: For the King - by Stephen Silver - 06-28-2008, 04:44 AM
Re: For the King - by brecker - 06-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Re: For the King - by Stephen Silver - 06-28-2008, 05:54 PM