Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inner Meaning for John 9:39
March 2, 2008

The words of John 9:39 seem like they may be an Aramaic word play on"see" and "understand", but I am not sure.

An exposition based on the Aramaic text would be very much appreciated.

Thanks...

Otto
Shlama Akhi Otto,

"Khza" can mean "to see", "to consider" , "to perceive", "to notice", "to provide", "to look".
(MUR) And Jesus said:
Quote:For the judgment of this world have I come; that they who see "khza" not, might see khza; and that they who see khza, might become blind.
Taken with the next two verses, it becomes clear that our Lord refers to the perception of the mind with the word, "khza". He did not come to give physical sight to all blind people. He did come to give spiritual and mental vision to those who are spiritually blind. What is interesting is that He says the Pharisees were not blind in this sense, and that if they had been, they would have been without sin in their opposition to Him. They must have had some sense that Yeshua was indeed Who He claimed to be, and yet hated Him still. That is the shocking lesson of this discourse. A person can actually "see" the Truth and understand it, yet reject and hate it and defy The Living God to His face!

I contend that modern day "Christians" do this all the time. If Yeshua were to walk among us in mortal flesh again today, many churches would reject Him, even if He were to do the works He did in Galilee, and speak the same words.

The fruit which brought death to Adam in Paradise was not from a tree which would cloud the mind with a stupifying poisen and deaden the senses. It was from the tree of knowledge.
Quote:For if, when they have escaped the pollutions of the world by the knowledge of our Lord and Redeemer Jesus the Messiah, they become again involved in the same, and are vanquished, their latter state is worse than the former.
For it would have been better for them, not to have known the way of righteousness, than after having known it, to turn back from the holy commandment that was delivered to them.
But the true proverb hath happened to them: the dog returneth to his vomit and the sow that was washed, to her wallowing in the mire.
2 Peter 2:20-22 (Murdock)

I think the Pharisees had received a certain amount of spiritual enlightenment concerning Yeshua.Nicodemus acknowledged that He was certainly from God, because of the miracles He did (John 3:1-3). They all were aware in their hearts of this, yet they refused to acknowledge Him and instead opposed Him, and thereby lost what light they had and were left in utter darkness of mind and soul- utterly dead in heart and spirit. Only a few of them expressed faith in Yeshua as The Messiah of God.

We should be careful about to whom we give spiritual knowledge. It could be the undoing of certain souls who are not prepared to obey the truth.

I hope this is helpful.

Blessings in our Savior,

Dave