Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palestinian Aramaic to Greek
Dear forum at large:

I read in the preface to TWI's 'Concordance to the Peshitta Version of th Aramaic NT" the following:

'[Eastern Aramaic] is related to, but not identical with, the Palestinian Aramaic spoken by Jesus and the writers of the New Testament. In recent times some scholars have demonstrated that a Palestinian Aramaic original lies behind the Greek versions of New Testament documents."

Can anyone point me to the research TWI is mentioning here? I'd like to read it. Which scholars assert the above? Where can I read about their findings?

Thanks, JHGUYNN.
Dear Jhguynn,

Here's the very little that I know about the rather mysterious 'translation team' that produced 'The Way International's Aramaic/English Interlinear Peshitta' translation.

The Priest at St. John's Assyrian Church of the East in Chicago, Illinois, Father Charles Klutz (who incidently, is Deacon Paul Younan's Priest), told me in a personal letter written in the 1980's that I no longer have (but I do have a kind of photographic memory) said something very similiar to this (in answer to my griping about George M. Lamsa's Peshitta New Testament): "in answer to your question about looking for a reliable version of the Peshitta New Testament, The Way International in Ohio, has published an Aramaic/English Interlinear translation that I can assure you was translated by a reliable and experienced team of Assyrian translators that fluently speak and read Assyrian (Aramaic).

I want you to firmly understand that The Way International is a Protestant sect, and is NOT in any way Orthodox, like the Assyrian Church of the East."

This is very near what the original letter written to me in the late 1980's, said.

I take it that Father Klutz MIGHT have known all, or most, of these translators on this team.

I think that it would serve history (which is important to ME) that Father Klutz would come forward, and if he has this information about just WHO these translators are/were, and he has PERMISSION, that he release this information to the public, who wants and needs to know.

I have often wondered if George Kiraz was a part of this Assyrian translation team.

It MAY BE that The Way International put some kind of legal binder on them that their names be kept private, for whatever reason.

I don't know if this is TRUE or NOT (about The Way Int.), but I would very much like to know. This information is aging at this moment, as not a one of us (me included) is getting any younger.

I hope that this rather rambling post is some sort of answer to your rather difficult question(s).

If not, please let me know, and I'll try again.

Shlama, Albion

P.S. I believe that this team of Assyrian translators IS the SAME thing as the "some scholars", that you mentioned in your post, but I have NO proof that this is so.

But it's my belief that they are very likely, one and the same.

jhguynn Wrote:Dear forum at large:

I read in the preface to TWI's 'Concordance to the Peshitta Version of th Aramaic NT" the following:

'[Eastern Aramaic] is related to, but not identical with, the Palestinian Aramaic spoken by Jesus and the writers of the New Testament. In recent times some scholars have demonstrated that a Palestinian Aramaic original lies behind the Greek versions of New Testament documents."

Can anyone point me to the research TWI is mentioning here? I'd like to read it. Which scholars assert the above? Where can I read about their findings?

Thanks, JHGUYNN.
Shlama JHGUYNN,

I don't know what scholarship is referred to; I do know that I have over 100 examples of Herodian (Dead Sea Scroll) script being misread and mistranslated into Greek from Peshitta readings in The New Testament. I have these examples in my Aramaic-English Interlinear New Testament. I have illustrated these using the Dead Sea Scroll font of Jack Kilmon and photos of Dead Sea Scroll lettering, along with the Greek Uncial and miniscule letters and translations of each Aramaic & Greek reading. The Herodian script was peculiar to Palestine, and accounts for Greek readings much better generally than Estrangela script, which was used primarily in Mesopotamia.

The examples occur in almost every book of the 27 book NT, including the Western five books. They were originally written in Palestine in Herodian script Aramaic, which was not used after the first century.

Burkta kulkown,

Dave