Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Numbers 25:4, Differences between Aramaic, Hebrew and others
Someone asked me today what the difference between the Aramaic of Numbers/Sipre d'Minyane 25:4 is with other versions or translations. Thought I would share what I gave them.

Eng. translation of Aramaic, "MRYH said to Moses: Take all the heads [or "chiefs"] of the town and drive [or "disperse", "move", "lead"] them before MRYH, toward the light of the sun and my wrath will turn away from the children of Israel."

JPS 1917, translated from Hebrew, "And the LORD said unto Moses: Take all the chiefs of the people, and hang them up unto the LORD in face of the sun, that the fierce anger of the LORD may turn away from Israel."

Biblia Peshitta en Espa??ol, "Y dijo Yahweh a Mois??s: Toma a todos los jefes del pueblo y disp??rsalos ante Yahweh a la luz del sol y se apartar?? mi ardiente ira de los hijos de Israel."

NRSV, "impale them"

Luther (1545), "hang them"

Septuagint (Brenton, 1851), "And the Lord said to Moses, Take all the princes of the people, and make them examples of judgment for the Lord in the face of the sun, and the anger of the Lord shall be turned away from Israel."

Lamsa, "And the LORD said to Moses, Take all the chiefs of the people and expose them before the LORD in the daylight that the fierce anger of the LORD may be turned away from the children of Israel."

Other languages use "put to death", "utterly destroy", "smite", "slay"