Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ephesians 4:30
Paul,

I am reading a 365 day devotional called "Sparkling Gems from the Greek". In it it has 365 days of verses with powerful Greek renderings. Of course I believe in an Aramaic original but I also believe that some of the best commentary on that original is found in Zorba's translation into Greek.

In this book on January 5 the verse above is studied, Ephesians 4:30. The verse says "And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye were sealed unto the day of redemption." The author, Rick Renner, says that word "grieve" in this passage is "lupeo" which is from "lupe" which denotes a pain or grief that can only be experienced between two people who deeply love each other. As in a husband or wife who has just discovered that his or her mate has been unfaithful.

As a result of this unfaithfulness, the betrayed spouse is shocked, devastated, hurt, wounded, and grieved. Does the Aramaic word carry this connotation?

Happy New Year my dear friend,
Keith
Shlama Akhi Keith,

Actually, yes it does:

(wq V
011 Syr %(Aqat liy% to be disgusted
012 Syr %(Aqat leh% to suffer bad times
013 Syr to care about
014 JLATg,CPA,Sam %(Aqat l-% to be distressed
041 JLATg to be distressed
021 Syr to press
022 Syr to grieve
051 Syr to be disgusted
031 Syr to press
032 Syr to urge
033 Syr to grieve
034 Palestinian to trouble, to distress
035 JLATg to loathe
061 Syr to be saddened
062 Syr to grieve
063 Syr to become impatient
064 Syr to be indignant
065 Syr to be inflamed with love
LS2 517

You see the word used in the Gospels mainly to describe the feelings of the Apostles surrounding the events at Gethsemane, the trial and crucifixion, etc......with grief and distress. Obviously they had a deep love and caring for their Lord.

It's also used here by Paul and elsewhere by James and Luke.

Have a GREAT New Year.
+Shamasha Paul bar-Shimun de'Beth-Younan
[Image: sig.jpg]