Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Luk 18:14 ???Split phrase????
Shlama Akhai
As usual, preparing my next Sunday???s sermon (in Spanish, of course) I could???nt help to consult the Peshitta text (as well as NA) and I found this issue:

GNT legw umin katebj outov dedikaiwmenov eiv ton oikon autou par@ ekeinon
oti pav o uywn eauton tapeinwqjsetai o de tapeinwn eauton uywqjsetai

NA choice, supported by: Alef (Synaitic) B L T family1 579. 82.1241. 2542, pc (few others), coptic bohairic.
KJV I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

PNT
[font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]04yrp wh Nm ryty htybl Qdzm 0nh txnd Jwkl 0n0 rm0
Myrttn h4pn Kmnd Lkw Kkmtn h4pn Myrd ryg $n0 Lk[/font]
MRD I say to you, that this [man] went down to his house justified, rather (better?) than the Pharisee. For every one that exalteth himself, will be humbled; and every one that humbleth himself, will be exalted.
NB. The Peshitta BibleWorks 6 text seems to have an error here: It adds a [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]4 [/font]before [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]rm0 [/font]... If this were Hebrew I would think in the H as apocope of the relative rH' : rm'H = that/which [I] say... (Or perhaps is this ???ignorant of me!- some Aramaic variant, [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]rm04 [/font]?).

Here are the other Greek variants (instead of par@ ekeinon ):
1. j gar ( - W Q pc) ekeinov A W Q Y family13 Koine Maj SyH
(NB: A similar construcci??n with ???j??? as comparative: all@ h = but rather, in Lk 12:51) = rather than the other/that one. Also: Mt 10:15.22.24(par Lk 10:12ss); mallon j Mt 18:13; 19:24 (par Mk 10:25); Act 5:29; Gal 4:27; 1Ti 1:4; 2Ti 3:4; Heb 11:25; uper j : Eph 3:20.

2. uper ekeinov: 157 pc = more than the other/that one.

3. mallon par ekeinon ton farisaion: D it SyP = better than the other/that farisee.

While number 1 option (as NA choice) would indicate a more ???creative???, free Greek translation, number 2 and 3 are +/- equivalent to Peshitta???s [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)] Nm ryty [/font], so that would be the ???split phrase???.... How do you like it?
[font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Fwx0b[/font]
Ab. Valentin
Shlama Akhi Valentin,

Good observation! I'm wondering if these three entries from the CAL site would give us an idea why some Greek texts differ.

ytr N 1 Palestinian,Sam rest, other part

Did Zorba think 'other' in a certain text and used a word meaning 'instead (of)'?

ytr V 052 Syr %men% to excel

ytr a 1 LJLA more

Oh, by the way, some other words composed of the root 'ytr' mean 'prefer'. My second question would be, "Did Zorba think 'prefer' and use a word meaning 'instead (of)'"?

Shlama w'Burkate, Larry Kelsey
Shlama Akha,

Split words are a fascinating study but I am troubled by the fact that all the lexicons are western and based on Greek words because most of the lexicographers are Greek primacists and believe Greek words are behind the Aramaic words. The definitions are therefore Greek based, relying on The Greek NT text parallel words.
To quote these lexicons to show split words in Greek would be circular reasoning in a large number of cases.

We could avoid the problem by focusing on non-Greek influenced meanings: Plural and singular variant readings in Greek; Presence or absence of personal pronouns and prepositions in Greek where they exist in Aramaic; Aramaic
idioms in Greek , etc.
Hopefully we can find an Eastern lexicon and translate definitions to English. Apparently there is none with English
equivalents for meanings of words.

Burktha w'tibotha,

Dave