Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Not fit to untie the <<Loop>> of his sandal..."
Hello everyone.

Someone began Posting on another site about John found in Mark.  Of course, in my blundering naivete, this was "Settled Science".
"I'll just get my notes, enlighten some people and..."

Uh-Oh!  There is a gap in the language at just this point.

Mark 1: 7 (RSV):

[7] And he preached, saying, "After me comes he who is mightier than I, the thong of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie.

John 1: 27, 30 (RSV):

[27] even he who comes after me, the thong of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie."
[30] This is he of whom I said, `After me comes a man who ranks before me, for he was before me.'

This is simply amazing to me.  In every sense of the word, Amazing!

For years, I've been looking at the Mishmarot Priesthood.  Look at 1 Chronicles 24 and "The House of Eleazar".  Eleazar and Ithamar provide 24 Groups for Temple Service.

1 Chronicles 24: 1 - 4, 7, 14  (RSV):

[1] The divisions of the sons of Aaron were these. The sons of Aaron: Nadab, Abi'hu, Elea'zar, and Ith'amar.
[2] But Nadab and Abi'hu died before their father, and had no children, so Elea'zar and Ith'amar became the priests.
[3] With the help of Zadok of the sons of Elea'zar, and Ahim'elech of the sons of Ith'amar, David organized them according to the appointed duties in their service.
[4] Since more chief men were found among the sons of Elea'zar than among the sons of Ith'amar, they organized them under sixteen heads of fathers' houses of the sons of Elea'zar, and eight of the sons of Ith'amar...
[7] The first lot fell to Jehoi'arib, the second to Jedai'ah...
[14] the fifteenth to Bilgah, the sixteenth to Immer...

There are different orderings which may point to some Editing.  The Hasmoneans are assigned to Jehoiarib and the position of "Johoiarib" in 1 Chronicles 24 may indicate that the Hasmoneans wanted to be in the Leading Position (Eisenman and Wise, Dead Sea Scrolls Uncovered).  BTW, the sixteenth Group, "Immer", believes that the Hasmoneans came from them (Uzi Leibner, Settlements in Galilee...).  Excavations of the settlement of Jabnit and others show that this view is true.  There are real, in-your-hand artifacts attesting to the existence of these Groups in Galilee

It's tedious here, but the payoff should be worth it.

Immer is absolutely critical to understanding this.  They are the last of the House of Eleazar and they do have history behind them.  They were on Duty, after Bilgah, at the Passover of 4 BCE, where 3000 are murdered and Passover is cancelled.

Bilgah?  Oh...Yes:

"According to a Talmudic tradition preserved in "Halakot Gedolot" (ed. Hildesheimer, p. 631), Bilgah was assigned to the group which officiated on the second and sixth days of the Feast of Tabernacles. The priests, when entering upon their duties, received their share in the northern part of the Tabernacle, because this was near the seat of their activity. The section assigned to each division of the priesthood was furnished with an iron ring fastened to the floor, for the purpose of securing the animal designed for slaughter, and there were accordingly twenty-four openings in the wall where the knives used for slaughtering were kept. Bilgah alone received his share in the south, his ring being nailed down, and his wall-closet tightly sealed, as a punishment..." ( http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/3298-bilgah )

Can you see where this is going?  

"After me comes he who is mightier than I, the thong of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie.."
"After me comes a man who ranks before me, for he was before me".

After John, of Bilgah, comes Jesus, of Immer.

The problem: It would be SOOOOO easy if "thong" meant "The loop of the sandal, either around the big toe or around the toes.  PERFECT!

Only: when you go to the Greek Interlinears, you find the word is "straps", which gets translated into "Thong" or "Latchet".

Quoting the Younan Interlinear of the 2 passages:

"...and he preach-would-and say-behold-comes after me-one who is more powerful-than I- he [who]-not-am worthy-I-to stoop-[and] loosen-the straps-of his sandals"      
"...this is-he-who after me-will come -yet-before me-is-that <I>-not-am worthy-I-to loosen-the straps-of his sandals..."

Vic Alexander: "I am not even worthy of untying the belts of his sandals..."
Steve Caruso: "...The thong of whose sandals..."

There seems to be an intermediate step that is missing.  The Word Play on "Thong/Loop/Strap" seems very important - Or perhaps I am asking too much.

Thank you all,

Charles

Messages In This Thread
"Not fit to untie the <<Loop>> of his sandal..." - by Charles Wilson - 07-16-2016, 07:27 PM