Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teeple's Literary Origins of John
Thank you very much.
It's easy to get in trouble with GJohn.

I looked at the following and noticed a few things

John 18: 19 - 23 (RSV):

[19] The high priest then questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching.
[20] Jesus answered him, "I have spoken openly to the world; I have always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where all Jews come together; I have said nothing secretly.
[21] Why do you ask me? Ask those who have heard me, what I said to them; they know what I said."
[22] When he had said this, one of the officers standing by struck Jesus with his hand, saying, "Is that how you answer the high priest?"
[23] Jesus answered him, "If I have spoken wrongly, bear witness to the wrong; but if I have spoken rightly, why do you strike me?"

Verse 19 states that the High Priest asked Jesus questions.  The answer to these questions is given in Verse 21. So...

[19] The high priest then questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching.
[21] Why do you ask me? Ask those who have heard me, what I said to them; they know what I said."

This reads a little better.  "Asked and answered".  Only now the response isn't uhhh...Proper. It would make sense if after this response, something happened.

[22] When he had said this, one of the officers standing by struck Jesus with his hand, saying, "Is that how you answer the high priest?"

Smoother still.  Make one more change.

[23] Jesus answered him, "If I have spoken wrongly, bear witness to the wrong; but if I have spoken rightly, why do you strike me?"
[20] Jesus answered him, "I have spoken openly to the world; I have always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where all Jews come together; I have said nothing secretly.

All we have done is move Verse 20 to the end of the dialogue but notice the difference in smoothness.  We have 2 "Jesus answered him..." leads but the context would have something like: "Jesus [turned and answered the High Priest], "I have spoken openly to the world; I have always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where all Jews come together; I have said nothing secretly." "

You can get into deep trouble with John.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teeple's Literary Origins of John - by sestir - 03-28-2016, 06:58 PM
RE: Teeple's Literary Origins of John - by Charles Wilson - 03-29-2016, 07:04 AM