Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peshitta what good is it?
Hi Doug, I'm glad to hear that you are going to translate what is found in the original text of the Peshitta, where the UBS text deviates from it. 

But, I'm pretty sure you will only do so when something major is found to be different, and not in every place, correct?  

I have taken great pains to look at all the differences, both large and very small, and have found the Khabouris text to be superior in every respect, and obviously not influenced at all from the Greek text/texts. 

I don't despise the Greek text/texts, I just know that they are translations, and sometimes the translators will get it wrong here and there, which is very understandable and I know the reasons why too well...

I sometimes read and quote from English translations of the Greek text, though when something is clearly mistranslated, and gives the wrong sense, I go with the correct wording of the text, as found in the Aramaic NT.

The Khabouris is a faithful copy of the true text of the Peshitta New Testament books, though, as we know, some parts have been lost to damage, and a few pages have been replaced by a later scribe, where the original pages seem to have been lost or too damaged to keep in the codex. There are also about 3 scribal errors I have seen in the text so far.

Rather than just use the UBS text, I would look to see what is found in other Peshitta manuscripts which match the Khabouris text in their readings, and translate what is found there which preserves the original Aramaic NT text, for instance, the Houghton (Asahel Grant) Manuscript, the Goodspeed manuscript, as well as the Mingana Manuscript.

I spoke to our Brother Stephen a few times before he passed on to his reward, and he once said to me that he would like to change those portions out in his transcription to have the Mingana codex readings (which he was very fond) for the reconstructed parts, though he said when looking at them, he found that those parts weren't of any great difference in the few places where the Khabouris lacked the text.

I'm looking forward to reading your translations when you make them public, Doug, and think it may help to show what is going on. 

Also, after looking closely at 1 Cor 3:15, I like the way it reads more simple and to the point in the Aramaic text, and will change my signature line to read as I see it given there in the Khabouris manuscript.

Shlama,
Chuck

Messages In This Thread
Peshitta what good is it? - by TruthFinder - 07-17-2015, 01:00 PM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by distazo - 07-20-2015, 07:57 AM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Doug Bell - 07-20-2015, 03:31 PM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Thirdwoe - 08-02-2015, 04:09 AM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Doug Bell - 08-03-2015, 02:10 PM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Thirdwoe - 08-04-2015, 03:48 AM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Doug Bell - 08-07-2015, 09:07 PM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by Thirdwoe - 08-08-2015, 03:45 AM
RE: Peshitta what good is it? - by SteveCaruso - 08-04-2015, 03:50 AM