Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bilingual Mary Magdalene
Yeah, [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0nngd[/font] is Aramaic -- ?of the gardeners?. We can find the conjugation right there in Jastrow, and also for example, Hesychius, by Gershenson, D. (1994) contrasting the Hebrew [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Jwng[/font] with the Aramaic [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0nwng[/font] and [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0nng[/font].

But in Aramaic and Hebrew, [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0nng[/font] can be a verb or a noun as it also means ?secret?, ?protect?, or ?cover? (or even ?bridal chamber? in Hebrew tradition). See for example the Gemara in Brachos (16a), [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]rz9l0 rl 0nng hyl Nyr=q 0q wwh ys0 ybrw ym0 ybr[/font] (?Rabbi Ami and Rabbi Asi were fastening a chupah/bridal-cover for Rabbi Elazer.?). See also the Midrash interpretation, ?I have come to my garden, my sister, [my] bride...?, using the word "garden" metaphorically.

Given the mystery around these verses about the bilingual Mary Magdalene in the fourth gospel, I thought it was interesting to consider the possibilities.

But yeah, I think the main argument in favor of the majority reading (for Aramaic) is that Mary?s words in John 20:15 are not Hebrew conjugations: [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Yhwylq40 Lz0 Yhytms 0ky0 Yl rm0 Yhytlq4 tn0 J0 Yrm[/font]

With that said, there probably is some secret here to be revealed about this ?gardener/secret? that was one ?turn? away ([font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]tynpt0[/font] in John 20:16) from Yahshua.

So after Mary completes this 'turn' she speaks Hebrew to Yahshua [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Ylwbr[/font] (?rabbi?). This was suggestive (perhaps) that she perceived he had crossed over into the heavenly realm ? according to Jewish tradition, [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]tyrb9[/font] (?Hebrew?) is the language of the crossing, that angels and men speak.

That is why again, it is particularly telling that her words to the ?secret? in John 20:15 are not Hebrew. Was Mary looking for a soul in Sheol, or was she looking for a dead body outside the cave? When she 'turns' inside the cave she switches languages and finds Yahshua alive. I wonder which way she turned - into the tomb or [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]rbl[/font].

Messages In This Thread
The Bilingual Mary Magdalene - by gregglaser - 02-15-2015, 12:50 AM
Re: The Bilingual Mary Magdalene - by aux - 02-16-2015, 06:20 AM
Re: The Bilingual Mary Magdalene - by gregglaser - 02-17-2015, 12:19 AM
Re: The Bilingual Mary Magdalene - by distazo - 02-22-2015, 07:37 PM
Re: The Bilingual Mary Magdalene - by gregglaser - 02-22-2015, 09:00 PM