Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I use the pronunciation guide in the lexicon at peshitta.org?
Tim,

In my native tongue which is a Romance language, we write the same way we speak (almost) always. So I guess that's why I didn't understand what your stumbling block was at first.

Aramaic is the same like my native language in that respect. Like Hebrew, Greek, Latin, etc. they all employ a phonetic writing system. English is rather an exception, most alphabetic writing is phonetic, as far as I know.

In Peshitta Aramaic, there are certain exceptions in certain contexts, but if you know the sound of each letter/vowel, in most cases you will get it right. Some times you would see certain signs for consonants that shouldn't be read - because the language evolved slightly while writing stayed the same, etc. Also certain cluster of letters sometimes may yield different sounds, but these are exceptions.

In my native language we have those too, once you know the rules there are consistently applied though. Unlike English where unless you know the word, you can never be 100% sure how it should be pronounced.

So Aramaic is phonetic, the letters (almost) always indicate clearly the sound they stand for. The exceptions I think are something for when one gets to a more advanced level.

Messages In This Thread
Re: How do I use the pronunciation guide in the lexicon at peshitta.org? - by borota - 12-28-2014, 02:18 AM