Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts and questions on Matt 1:16 - "gowra"
I know of masterful explanations of "gowra" in Matthew 1:16 by Messers Younan and Roth. However I have lingering thoughts which have led to two significant questions I'd appreciate comments from this forum:
1. Matthew begins his genealogical breakdowns using an active verb - "fathered" - no translation problem. However when he arrived at the 40th generation from Abraham, he changed to a more passive tone; "the "gowra" of... Did he intend to draw special interest by the use of this term, since...
2. Gowra is obviously a more general word which could be (and was) misconstrued. He could have chosen and used a more-specific word with a sharper meaning of "father". Did Matthew intend for the need of special attention focused on this individual, Yosip, who must be the blood link between the Royal Davidic Lineage and King Y'shua? Obviously this person would himself have to be Royalty (King Yosip), and Maryam would then have been Queen Maryam, establishing the DNA blood connection with King Y'shua.

The work on this verse to clear up the genealogy within Matthew is vital. Yet, I have this little yellow flag waving in my brain that signals "caution - pay close attention". And I am totally deficient in Aramaic, unable to properly look into any potential deeper meaning or fine points. Any thoughts? TB

Messages In This Thread
Thoughts and questions on Matt 1:16 - "gowra" - by tbrice - 10-17-2014, 05:08 PM