Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'In that moment' or 'A new one'
godparticle Wrote:John 1:29 occurred after Jesus had returned from the desert. As also it says in John 1:32 I have beheld the Spirit coming down on him as a dove (past tense), referring to when John baptized Jesus over 40 days earlier in the days preceding. No conflict whatsoever.

This quoted section of your response above is a key alternate possibility to add to the list in the original post, thank you. I think it helps to watch the assumption though whether John 1:32-34 is describing a different conversation/day than John 1:29-31 -- given that John 1:35 begins with the words ulyuma aKhrna ("and another day"). But regardless of that assumption, if you're correct that John 1:28 is not describing the baptism, then the possibility you describe would be likely for the past tense reason (which is present in Aramaic too). So the possibility that you described is yet another possibility on the list that remains valid in Aramaic, no conflict. But if John 1:28 is describing the baptism event (as I assumed too confidently), then the analysis above about the word mKhda would remain useful to John 1:28 and would resolve that conflict with Mark 1:12 (whereas in most/all translations the conflict with Mark 1:12 would remain).

So what's happened here in this post is just an analysis of the different possibilities for readers to consider, and each one has a remedy in Aramaic. You can't say the same thing about all possibilities in the translations. So for the avoidance of doubt -- there is no flaw stated in the Aramaic text, but rather the issue was my failure to document each possibility in my original post. Your response post helped remedy that by adding another key possibility, which readers will see further supports Aramaic for the reasons I've just described. (Incidentally, I also thought the original post provided a useful discussion of the word mKhda generally).

I gather that other forum members have had issues with your posts involving unprovoked insults. That may be common in some places on the internet, but it doesn't have to be that way here. If a new beginning is possible within you to be more humble and civil mKhda, I think that would be positive. Alternatively, it is beneficial lKhyuTha to see plainly the character dKhyuTha aKhrna.

Messages In This Thread
'In that moment' or 'A new one' - by gregglaser - 03-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Re: 'In that moment' or 'A new one' - by gregglaser - 05-15-2014, 05:57 AM