Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lamsa's different translations of "L'mana shabaqthani"
Thanks for your thoughtful post Charles. I don't really have strong feelings on the context of this verse one way or another, so I do not wish to debate what appears to be your strong opinion on the matter. I would have to admit also that I don't quite follow the full gist of your argument, though I did take the time to read it through.

If your opinion of context is totally correct, and my analysis totally off-base; this is where I think our methods vary. As I see it, you come to a thoughtful conclusion as to what the proper context is, and then somewhat fashion the word (in this case Sh:B:Q) to fit that context. I on the other hand, first do a full concordant analysis of the word itself (Sh:B:Q), and then attempt to let the word itself define the various contexts in which it is used; assuming that is, that I have actually found an English word that can convey the full extent of the Aramaic root (never an easy task).

Either way though, it is interesting to hear your perspective on the matter.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Lamsa's different translations of "L'mana shabaqthani" - by Jerry - 03-26-2014, 10:38 PM