Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lamsa's different translations of "L'mana shabaqthani"
Jerry-
Good Post.
You state:

"Using the types of words that fit most contexts..."

Therein lies the problem. What IS the "correct" context here?

Matthew 18: 3 (Moffatt):

3. and said, "I tell you truly, unless you turn and become like children, you will never get into the Realm of heaven at all...

Look in any number of translations and you will find:

1. "kingdom of heaven" rather than Moffatt's use of "Realm of heaven". Does this matter? I believe that it does, though in a minor fashion. It is not a "Critical" point.
2. Look at the phrase "...unless you TURN and become like children...".
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://biblehub.com/matthew/18-3.htm">http://biblehub.com/matthew/18-3.htm</a><!-- m -->
Notice the number of "...unless you change..." or "...unless you be converted..." translations.
PY uses "...unless you change and become like children..."

Luke 13: 23 -24 (RSV):

[23] And some one said to him, "Lord, will those who are saved be few?" And he said to them,
[24] "Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.

3. PY has "Strive to enter through the narrow door..." as well.

What is the "Correct Context" here? Please consider: What if the Matthew verse and the Luke verses are referring to the same event? Would the "context" change? I believe that it would. If there was a "Narrow Door" that was so small that you had to "...turn as a child..." in order to get through it, and in order to "Be Saved" and not be killed you simply HAD to get through it, you might be inclined to view "Contextual Meaning" in a different light. You might even ask if "The Realm of Heaven" might be a real place somewhere. After all:

Matthew 5: 20 (RSV and Moffatt):

[20] For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
[20] For I tell you, unless your goodness excels that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the Realm of heaven.

Again, I ask you to consider Lamsa and Paul Younan here: "My God, my God, for this was I spared?" For many, this makes absolutely NO SENSE at all!
Oh, yes it does!
Regardless of alternatives, this idea appears to be the most correct and even "most correct" may not be strong enough. I stated, "You may have to find your own moment where this person faced certain and "No Way Out" Death and survived...". This is the moment for me.

Mark 6: 48 (in Part) - 49 (Moffatt):
[48] ...He would have passed them by
[49] but when they saw him walking on the sea, they thought it was a ghost and shrieked aloud

There is something else, another context here. This "other context" gives the meaning to the that moment on the Cross.
I invite you to look at this possibility..

CW

Messages In This Thread
Re: Lamsa's different translations of "L'mana shabaqthani" - by Charles Wilson - 03-25-2014, 07:20 PM