Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for help
Personally, to learn Aramaic I began with Herb Jahn's interlinear (great for beginners because the Aramaic root word transliterations are presented in English text immediately below the English translation - very convenient and not intimidating). Once I gained a nice familiarity and confidence with these root words (over about 6 months), I learned the Estrangelo script in about a day (just write the aleph bet over and over) and then began reading the Magiera transliterations that come with her Word Concordance ? her study tools are awesome!

So for beginners wishing to learn the Aramaic Peshitta, I highly recommend this method:
  • 1) Read the English transliterations of Herb Jahn (and understand you are reading root words, not actual text). This is a nice way to learn Aramaic because you?re reading the bible for your studies and therefore striving to abide in the word!
    2) Learn Estrangelo script and read Magiera's transliterations while consulting her Concordance. And of course, if you're here at Peshitta.org, click on "Interlinear NT" over there on the left toolbar, and enjoy the journey!
    3) Here is a useful grammar to assist you in the above: http://www.introlessonsinaramaic.com
    4) Using this method you will be able to read the ancient scrolls for yourself. Once you're ready, start here: http://www.dukhrana.com/khabouris

I understand your concerns about textual edits, but take solace in the great integrity of the Peshitta and letter counting system of the Aramaic scribes. Granted, it often feels unclear just how successful ?the false pen of scribes? (see e.g., Jeremiah 8:8) may have been. But I think when we search the gospel for truth and simultaneously strive to love our fellow man (e.g., help the needy) while we study, we?re each rewarded with our own unique journey (what more could you ask for really), often learning from errors (stumbling blocks) that we would not have appreciated if we had not been tested with other perspectives and even inaccuracy. Every endeavor on earth requires the navigation of stumbling blocks, and some of man?s greatest scientific achievements have come from the slow process of discovering entire fields of study and invention, only to have them later improved and integrated into other fields and inventions. The latter is not as meaningful without the former, so know that your journey studying the Peshitta even on Day 1 is important!

Here's one of my favorite examples, even after following Yahshua throughout his ministry, Peter continued to falsely believe the Messiah would never die on earth. Matthew 16:22. Peter's misunderstanding was part of his journey, and it helps emphasize just how guarded the Word is!

I think if the Father wants to give the exact words of the gospel to a man, then that man will receive the Word when his season comes because he is ready -- remember Yahshua in Matthew 19:11 on a topic regarding marriage, ?Not every man is fit for this word except he to whom it is given.? And here is Proverbs 25:2, ?The honor of Elohim is to hide a word; and the honor of sovereigns to probe a word.?

Messages In This Thread
Looking for help - by Toma Marqos - 07-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Re: Looking for help - by Burning one - 07-25-2013, 02:37 AM
Re: Looking for help - by gregglaser - 07-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Re: Looking for help - by distazo - 07-27-2013, 12:20 AM
Re: Looking for help - by Thirdwoe - 07-27-2013, 07:36 AM
Re: Looking for help - by Thirdwoe - 07-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Re: Looking for help - by gregglaser - 07-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Re: Looking for help - by gregglaser - 07-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Re: Looking for help - by Thirdwoe - 07-28-2013, 05:26 AM
Re: Looking for help - by gregglaser - 07-28-2013, 06:09 AM
Re: Looking for help - by Thirdwoe - 07-28-2013, 07:46 AM