Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Definite Article
Now you got me mad, Distazo. I might not understand very much but I can learn. Here's what I have so far:

...Aloha exalted him and gave him shema that is above all shemahim, debashmeh of Yeshua...

The first version of the noun is singular in number, emphatic in state, and probably should be rendered "the name"; I understand that the emphatic state roughly corresponds to a definite article (although technically Aramaic does not have definite articles).

The second is plural, absolute in state and is properly translated by Etheridge and Murdock as "names."

The third (from the following verse) is singular in number, emphatic in state with a third person masculine suffix (associating it with Yeshua) and what looks to my untrained eye like two proclitics, a dalet and a bet, a very (grammatically) bad english rendering might look like "at his the name" which conveys, rather sloppily, both the emphaticness and the ownership of the noun. It is properly both "his name" AND "the name" if that makes any sense, I know we don't say it in english.

I might render the phrase thus: ...Aloha exalted him and gave him THE name that is above all names, that at Yeshua's name, every knee...

Messages In This Thread
Definite Article - by distazo - 04-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Re: Definite Article - by bknight - 04-14-2013, 03:38 AM
Re: Definite Article - by distazo - 04-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Re: Definite Article - by bknight - 04-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Re: Definite Article - by distazo - 04-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Re: Definite Article - by Paul Younan - 04-14-2013, 07:57 PM